PDA

View Full Version : Potty chair for 18 month old?!?!

Lisa_Seattle_2002
01-28-2004, 04:26 PM
I had not even thought about potty training ... but at Zoe's 18 month appointment the ped asked if we had a potty chair yet. She said we should get one and just have it in the bathroom. If Zoe seems interested in it we should tell her what it is and let her sit on it (clothes on). Then, when summer rolls around and she is 2 she can run around naked outside to see where pee comes from, etc. and start to make those connections and when she seems ready to start training for real she won't be afraid of the potty.

This ped is new for us. She has 3 kids herself so I basically trust her. But know that there are many opinions on this. So, what do you think - buy a potty chair of find a new ped?!

TIA,
Lisa
Zoe 7/16/02

brubeck
01-28-2004, 06:36 PM
IMHO it doesn't hurt to get a chair. Just leave it out and if she is interested, great, and if not, so what? I think it's a case of it can only do good.

Melanie
02-02-2004, 07:33 PM
They asked us around 18 months, too. We bought a Bjorn one with the removeable insert. So far, it makes a nice chair for him to sit on with his diaper on. Occasionally he will sit on it naked, but he's never 'used' it. I just bought him an insert for the big potty in case that is more attractive to him.

I think my son is ready physically as far as knowing when he goes, sometimes, but he is not ready otherwise. We've just had it around so he gets used to it being there.

As long as your ped. didn't say you HAD to do it, or put any pressure on you or anything like that, if it's just a gentle suggestion, I say keep the ped. ;-)

I know it seems really early, but there was a little 14 month old in one of Ds' classes who initiated using the potty ON HER OWN! Her almost 4 yo brother wasn't even using the potty, but she wanted to.

pshontz
02-02-2004, 11:02 PM
A friend of mine got a potty chair for her 18-mo-old when she started telling her when she needed to go. She didn't use the chair for awhile but they let it sit in the bathroom. I think she is completely (or almost completely) trained now at 26 months. I am thinking about this too -- getting a chair just to have it around, as my 16-mo-old calls the potty "poh-ee" (as she always comes and hangs around with me). :-)

Ruth (Kay 09/14/02; Girl 03/16/04)

em_jon98
02-19-2004, 01:15 AM
We have a potty in Lindsey's bathroom. She isn't ready to potty train yet, but she sits on it sometimes and says "Potty," so she knows what it is for. She also likes to sit on it when I use her bathroom to potty.

IMHO, it can't hurt to let her get the idea as long as a child isn't pushed to potty learn before they are physically and emotionally ready.