PDA

View Full Version : Deflector shield for boys

cara1
03-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Parents of boys: have you been using the "deflector shield" in the potty. The first time DS used his potty, the pee flew across the room. But at the same time, I can't see how he could comfortably sit on his potty with that big plastic thing sticking up. My Mom said she used to tell my brother to just point his penis down with his hand. That's tough, because I keep telling DS to keep his hands out of there while he's on the potty. Ideas?

luvbeinmama
03-19-2004, 07:07 PM
I'm with your mom. We have the soft-seated potty chair and the pee shield came off every time DS tried to sit. It was completely useless. Having him push his penis down is something he will have to learn eventually anyway, so you may as well teach him now. Of course, pushing the penis down is different than putting a hand down into the potty. He can just push it down with one finger. I think you can have him do this and still keep the hands out of the pot.

Good luck.

lukkykatt
03-19-2004, 11:55 PM
The darn deflector shield is why we switched to the Baby Bjorn potty. The "shield" either flew off as DS was trying to sit down, or did nothing anyway. Even with the Bjorn though I think we did tell DS to point down. Can you explain to your son that he needs to keep his hand on his penis (as opposed to just having his hand in the potty?)

Just a warning: when they switch to standing up it's no picnic either for a little while. I did get peed on a few times :)

luvbeinmama
03-20-2004, 01:38 AM
>Just a warning: when they switch to standing up it's no
>picnic either for a little while. I did get peed on a few
>times :)

LOL! That's why DH taught him that! :P