PDA

View Full Version : Clothing & Potty Training?

kaitlinsmommy
03-30-2004, 01:58 AM
I know that I will buy clothes for next summer when they're on sale this year and am wondering if certain things are not very potty training friendly. LE has some cute playsuits with inseam snaps and I wonder if these are not good to wear when dd is potty training. Can anyone share your experiences & insights? Is this an important consideration or am I over-thinking again?

trumansmom
03-30-2004, 11:51 AM
I would stick with T-shirts and shorts. I had just gotten through buying tons of overalls and onesie-type turtlenecks for DS, and then one week later he decided to start the whole potty training process. I ended up buying an entire second wardrobe to make things easier. In hindsight, it has been a much slower process than I had ever imagined. So far we've been at it for about 6 months, and have just recently started making any real progress. We probably could have gotten away with using more of the original clothing, but it's just hard to say. I would play it safe and stick with things that are super easy to take on and off. Maybe even get the shorts a little bit looser than normal.

And I agree, the LE stuff is adorable!

Good luck!
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

christic
03-30-2004, 03:07 PM
You're very smart to be thinking of this now! not over-thinking at all. We're in the early early stages of potty training, and I just realized that I need to buy clothes that will make this easier. Luckily I didn't buy too much ahead of time.

I'd stick with all 2 piece outfits with elastic waistbands instead of any zippers or snaps. Also keep the tops short enough so they won't get in the way of things :). I'm kind of bummed out now because I love that dress and leggings or shorts look but I don't want her to have to figure out how to hold a dress up! Rompers or playsuits would be difficult too. Probably not a problem in summer, but do two piece pajamas instead of zippered sleepers.

Basically you want it to be easy to pull the pants down themselves...I thought I saw a post once about a good way to teach them about this too but I've been reading this entire forum lately in search of tips and can't remember what or where it was.

Chris

kaitlinsmommy
03-30-2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks for your advice! I guess I'll have to get my fill of rompers this summer. I'm always buying clothes way ahead when they're on sale so I just started thinking about this.

brubeck
03-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Kim you are not thinking about this too early! It is better to not buy anything on sale than to buy it on sale and not use any of it.

However consider just when your child will be training. My son turns 2 in December and I will probably start training him next February/March. But that means there are 2 or 3 months where he will be wearing winter clothes and not training. So when they had the winter sales I bought him 2 nice LE long sleeved/legged playsuits, and also a couple of pairs of LE climber pants and rugby shirts. That gives him a couple of things for each period and the playsuits were so cheap I don't regret that they'll only be used for a couple of months.

Chris the good news is that once the girls get used to it the dresses can come into play again. In the summer you can also use just dresses and underwear (no shorts) or even dresses and nothing else depending on your training methods!

The part about pulling pants up and down is from the Azrin & Foxx method. Basically the child puts one hand in front and one hand behind and pulls up. This prevents the pants from getting caught at the bottom of the cheeks. :)

christic
04-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Thanks Helen! I took a trip to H&M and got over my dress dilemma. They have tons of cute skirts with elastic bands, so I figure they'll go up or down as needed ;). Lots of cute underwear too.