PDA

View Full Version : We got a pooper! Success with one-day potty training?

jojo2324
04-13-2004, 09:16 AM
It was only once, and purely a matter of coincidence, as Gannon was naked (like he is every day after bath time), he started to grunt, and I grabbed the potty, which had been housing toys up until that moment. Gannon NEVER poops at that time of the day, so I don't expect it to happen again any time soon. (Though he did let out a looooong fart when I tried it again the next night.)

I am thinking one day, I might just let him run around in the buff and keep the potty close at hand. Now that it's warming up, it's feasible. But I'm not going to push it at all.

Has anyone done this successfully? I know there is a book.

Thanks!

trumansmom
04-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Congratulations!! Truman still hasn't pooped on the potty, but lately I've thought if I had been able to move quickly enough, I could have gotten him on it. After the baby is born, when standing isn't aerobic anymore, maybe.

Congratulations again! It's still hard for me to think of Gannon as such a big boy. In my head he is still a baby. Isn't it amazing how fast these little buggers grow?! Wow!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and induction for DD scheduled for tonight!

sweetbasil
04-13-2004, 03:47 PM
We used that method, which at least jump-started potty training efforts around here. That's a great start, Joanne! Congrats to you and Gannon ;)

brubeck
04-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Joanne are you talking about the Azrin & Foxx Potty Training in Less Than a Day or the run-around-naked method? We tried both. The Azrin & Foxx thing just wasn't suited to Amy's temperment, and the naked thing worked but not initially. When Amy was uninterested in pottying I tried letting her run around the backyard naked (and I had to put sunscreen EVERYWHERE.... shudder) but she would just squat and go and be off again (staying relatively dry). It was NOT an incentive to use the potty.

However once she started being interested I found that she was more aware of her need to go if she was naked. So she would then run around the house naked and use the potty when needed. We had to work up from this to using underwear.

So the short is that for us, naked time worked well, but only at the proper stage.

Congratulations on Gannon's poop! I hope you made a big deal of it with him!

jojo2324
04-14-2004, 10:51 AM
Thanks Helen. I think Gannon and Amy are much the same... you should SEE this kid when he's nude. He just runs and runs and runs, all the while squealing. It's like kiddie speed or something! (Just kidding!)

You're right, at this point he would be way too entertained by his nakedness to even think about the potty.

And I DID make a huge deal! I was screaming and clapping and cheering and laughing. And he was soooo upset because I wouldn't let him play with it, so I think all he got from the whole experience was he was being denied something he had "done." Poor guy.

brubeck
04-14-2004, 11:05 AM
Yeah I weas reading an article once that tried to explain the toddler's view of potty training. I remember a line that was something like, "When I make a picture at school you hang it on the fridge. But when I make this thing (and it takes a lot of work) you flush it away!". LOL! But I can see the same thought running through Gannon's head.

As you mentioned in a previous thread, Gannon likes to play with his poop so you might have a losing battle there. Does he like to flush and hear the whooshing sound?

One thing that worked well for us was the 'potty dance'. We only did it when there was successful potty use and it was more elaborate for a poop. Think of the football players doing their dances after scoring and you'll get the idea. Of course you have to make YOURSELF an integral part of the dance or he will just do it without you and it's wasted.

jubilee
04-16-2004, 02:53 AM
I have heard about when your kid poops (or pees) in the potty, you can give them a party favor to blow. Like one of the paper roll-up kind. It distracts them from wanting to play with the poop. And the party favor only gets to be played with after successful pottytime, and then only for a minute or two. Just a suggestion, since it will be a long while until the potty dance is happening at my house!

raynjen
04-16-2004, 04:29 AM
Whoo hoo!

I will say I am torn on the whole naked thing. Noelle has no problem remembering to pee if she is dressed, but she'll poop in her drawers. Now, if she is naked she will pee all over the place, but will only poop in the potty - hows that for a Catch 22?

We have been compromising by keeping her dressed 95% of the time and then (at that time of day, or when she seems 'distressed') we have Naked Butt Races. This stems from an earlier post from a mom who's pediatrican recommend the puppy method for poop-training (run 'em around at the right time and have the potty ready).

Anyway we get her completely naked and we have various games involving running around. I try and get my DH involved with this too so that it is a lot of fun for her. We run races up and down the hall, we do funny skipping or marching, we play Gluf (my DD's version of golf), and we play lions or wolves (lots of growling and running and screaming). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but we are trying everything to get her back to 'regular'.

DD dearly loves having Mommy AND Daddy playing with her at once - now all we have to do is ask her if she wants to have Naked Butt Races and she is stripping (it just occured to me that this could have serious repercussions in 14 years or so - hope she has no memories of this time!)

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

Melanie
05-08-2004, 05:14 AM
Did you let him flush? That's a big incentive for Ds. Flushing is quite fun around here and then he gets to say goodbye to it (like in "once upon a potty.")