PDA

View Full Version : What kind of underwear?

momtoemma
05-07-2004, 08:36 PM
What kind of underwear is best for a toddler girl that is starting potty training? I don't even know what brands to look at...

Thanks,

brubeck
05-08-2004, 12:15 AM
Well first you need to decide if you want to go with 'real' underwear or not. I started out with the Gerber cotton trainers. Basically these are like underwear but have about 10 layers of cotton in the crotch. They protect against really minor leaks but if the child pees it will come out BIG TIME. So it's basically just to help if the child leaks a little while running to the potty.

If you go with real underwear you can try the route where she picks it out herself. However I have found that character underwear has cheap elastic waistbands. It is better to get an elastic waistband covered by fabric, because this makes it easier for the child to slip their thumbs/fingers under the waistband to pull them down. I like these ones from TCP:

http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=108236&langId=-1&exp=n&catTree=27151,27690,27814&clearance=0

If you click on them to enlarge you can see what I mean by fabric covering the elastic waistband. In the store they have them in pink and blue colors with patterns as well.

Whatever you get, make sure you get at least one size too big. Loose underwear will help her learn how to pull them up and down. Also, I found that my daughter didn't recognize the urge to go as easily if the underwear was too snug. If they dropped at the crotch a bit and let some air flow through she recognized the need much faster.

HTH!