PDA

View Full Version : Potty advice

jamsmu
05-24-2004, 11:30 AM
DS loves to watch DH and I in the bathroom. So we've decided to get him a potty so he can sit. (and someday learn to use it :) -- the sooner the better :D )

Any suggestions for which potty to get? I went to BRU yesterday and saw all different kinds. There was one that looked like a mini-toilet, just like what we sit on.

I'm looking for comfort, ease of cleaning and the best to begin training on.

TIA!!

PS DS is pretty young, so I'm really looking for something he can sit on... no pressure for training yet.

Hallie_D
05-25-2004, 04:07 PM
There were two main things we looked for in a potty (besides ease of cleaning, of course!): one, did it have a guard big enough to keep boy splashes in, and two, could ds sit on it easily. We really liked the baby bjorn seat, but it is too high for ds, who is very, very petite. Some of the other seats had very low splash guards and I'd read reviews online from parents of boys who said it was a real problem to have too low of a guard. We wound up getting a three-in-one seat that can be used as a potty, as an insert on a regular toilet seat, and the bottom can be used as a step stool. For the life of me I can't remember the brand, though! There is one central insert cup that has the splash guard attached, so it is easy to pick up, dump and clean. DS has never urinated in it so I can only hope the guard works!! (it is quite high).

We actually took DS to a BRU and had him sit on every single potty there to see which one fit him best.

jamsmu
05-28-2004, 10:19 PM
"We actually took DS to a BRU and had him sit on every single potty there to see which one fit him best." LOL! I can see us doing that!!

Please let me know if you remember the name of this. I was planning to get the Baby Bjorn one, but my DS is pretty tiny, too, so this is good advice. Good luck, Hallie and Elijah!

Momof3Labs
05-30-2004, 10:17 PM
I've read lots of conflicting advice about the shields - a big one will help keep boys' pee in the potty, but also makes it hard to get on the seat. And removeable ones tend to fall off and into the potty.

We got a potty insert but will probably get a little potty too, just to cover all bases. I'm thinking we'll go with Baby Bjorn. Epinions and BRU have lots of reviews on the more popular seats (I bought one and promptly returned it after reading about all of the leaks)!

Hallie_D
06-08-2004, 02:39 PM
Sorry--I have been out of my office for over a week and haven't checked the boards! It is called the First Stages 3-in-1 potty seat. Elijah loves to sit on it with pants on, especially if I'm in the bathroom using the toilet myself. So far he isn't too interested in really using it, though, except for his two "right place at the right time" poops.

BTW, he just had his 2-year-old check-up yesterday and is 31 inches tall. He has no trouble sitting down even thought it has a fairly substantial splash guard.