PDA

View Full Version : I wasn't sure this day would come, but I need potty advice!

egoldber
06-04-2004, 02:51 PM
I think we are ready to work on potty training! We have had a potty forever, and DD likes to sit on it (fully clothed usually) whenever I go to the bathroom. Yesterday when I was using the bathroom, she asked me to take off all her clothes and diaper. She then asked for a book, and lo and behold she peed on the potty!!! For the first time ever.

After that I let her run around naked from the waist down for about an hour. I asked her periodically of she had to go, and she sat down a few times but no results. She then had an accident and told me immediately. We then went out, so I put her in a pull-up (her first pull-up experience).

This morning she ran around naked for awhile....no results. We went out for awhile (in a diaper) and after we came home, I had her run around naked again. She had a couple more pee accidents and she told me right after they happened. In fact one time she came and said "I have to pee" and sat on the potty, but she had already peed.

I then heard her getting ready to poop, so I had her sit on the potty and she actually pooped! I couldn't believe it. But then she asked for a pull-up. Not a diaper mind you, the blasted Disney Princess pullups that she now ADORES. :( She peed in the pull-up of course, because it is like a diaper.

So basically, when we are home, I have her naked or in cloth trainers (she isn't very fond of these and prefers to be naked). When we go out she wears a diaper. Sometimes at home she asks for a pull-up, which I try to discourage, but if she insists put her in one.

What else should I be doing at this point? Thanks!

AngelaS
06-04-2004, 04:19 PM
If she likes the Princess pullups, how about buying her some 'pretty, big girl, soft princess panties'? You know, the kind you buy in the BIG girl aisle at the store. :D My dd was very motivated not to pee on her special friends on her panties! And when she had a poopy accident....oh she felt so bad that she worked very hard not to poop on her friends again! :D

brubeck
06-04-2004, 08:41 PM
They do have Disney Princesses underwear. I like the idea of using that.

I had the same problem with Pampers Easy-Ups because they have ELMO on them. DD was so excited to wear Elmo underwear and to this day I have not found any Sesame Street UNDERWEAR, just those blasted diapers.

Does Sarah have a Disney Princess doll? Perhaps you could show her how the doll doesn't wear diapers because to be a Princess you must pee pee in the potty. My DD is obsessed with firefighters and we were always telling her that if she wanted to be a firefighter she would have to keep her underwear clean and dry. If she used the potty we told her she was a firefighter and let her wear her 'firefighter hat'.

It sounds like Sarah is on the right track but got sidetracked by the Princesses on the Pull-Ups. If you want to stop using them, show her where you keep them. Make sure there are only 5 or so there. Let her know that there is a LIMITED quantity and if she wants to keep using them she had better keep them dry. This may work.

It seems like she recognizes the bodily functions (at least immediately afterward) so she seems physically ready. It's probably more a matter of motivation right now.

Another thought: did you make a BIG fuss when she used the potty? We used to laugh and clap and hug and dance, basically have a big 'praise party'. There was no question in DD's mind that I was thrilled when she used the potty. During the day I would check her underwear and if it was clean and dry we would have a mini-praise-party session. There really is no better reward than parental approval.

Okay, I'm rambling here but these were just the thoughts off the top of my head. HTH!