PDA

View Full Version : Was your child very verbal while potty training?

teddy
06-08-2004, 05:26 PM
My DD is 18 months old and several moms in our playgroup have similar-aged kids. Some have started potty training already. But their kids speak A LOT more than my child. So their kids can say pee-pee or poo-poo when they need to go. My child is saying 1 syllable words but not very many of them. Some of the other kids can say stuff like, Mommy, up, or Mommy, no, etc... My kid can say Mommmm, Mommmmmm, and a few other words like ball, dad, cat. But not really expressing a thought.

Question: should I wait until she can speak more before potty training her? That way, she can say pee-pee or poo-poo when she needs to go? Or should I just get a potty and introduce it to her while she is learning the words pee-pee and poo-poo?

Any help and advice is appreciated! Thanks :)

lisams
06-08-2004, 05:45 PM
I say get a potty just so she can explore it and copy you when you are on the potty. DD is 19 months, and it's taken her a while to warm up to just sitting on it (she was a little frightened of the hole). Now she sits on it with her pants down while I am on the potty, but is no where near actually going in it, she just likes copying what I do. She can talk very well, but I don't think she is ready, we're just warming up to the potty idea in general. It couldn't hurt to have one around!

Lisa

kaitlinsmommy
06-08-2004, 06:04 PM
My dd is also 18 months and I need to get a potty ASAP. She's not very verbal but has started saying pee & poo poo all the time and she's very interested in us going potty. I say go ahead and get one so you're prepared. It could be any day.

pamela mom of 3
06-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Interesting, i never really thought about it actually...i suppose when i do a think ;) being able to "tell" us did help LOL

See i am a tad odd i guess my kids didn't PT till about 3 1/2yrs...by that point they said quite a bit...

But you know whatever works for you...you can always give it a whirl i suppose see where it takes you, besides kids have a good way of getting their point across even without words.

-good luck!

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

teddy
06-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Thanks, everyone! I think it "can't hurt" to have the potty around. Who know, DD might actually want to use it!