PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when they have an accident in public?

egoldber
06-12-2004, 11:14 AM
I guess a big part of potty training DD is going to involve ME getting over MY fears, LOL. Now that I have figured out how to deal with public toilets, lol, what about this one?

I guess you carry spare clothes and underwear, ok, no big deal. But what about the mess in the store, or somewhere less clean up friendly, like oh say the library! Do you clean it yourself? Run and hide and pretend it wasn't your child? Ask for a clean-up on aisle 4? And if you clean it yourself, how on earth do you do that???

Help!

AngelaS
06-12-2004, 12:53 PM
You approach the nearest employee and say, "My daughter had a bit of an accident, do you have some paper towels?" Then you make a big pile of them, lay them on the puddle and step on it. :D

Peeing on the floor is not NEARLY as bad as the day Adrienne PUKED all over me AND her in the middle of Walmart.....

mom2kandj
06-12-2004, 01:02 PM
You ask for help. I know that potty training is tough, but believe it or not, people understand and have BTDT! Wherever you are when an accident happens let management know of the situation so that they can clean it up and you can focus on your little one who will probably be in hysterics because her princesses are wet. I would probably tell an older woman than the 17 year old bagger, KWIM?

Though others like to train in panties and dresses due to ease of access, when out and about I liked panties and bike shorts or leggings because they will absorb some liquid and not leave a huge puddle. FWIW, I'm one of those moms who has a complete changing station in the back of the SUV. Not only do I still carry a lightweight change of clothes for both kids in the diaper bag, but my car holds a complete change of warmer clothes, a complete beach setup(sunscreen, bathing suits, towels, etc), a potty seat, and a backup diaper bag that never leaves the car.

Be prepared and stay positive! On the day that we finally cut the cord with the daytime pullups, we went to Disneyland with a group of BBBers. Everyone was warned and so supportive. FWIW, DD had a small accident when we just weren't quick enough to get to the restroom. She was more upset about the thought of having to leave Disneyland early than her wet panties. Reassurances about next time and putting some of the blame on mommy help a lot! This is getting long...HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

Jeanmick
06-12-2004, 02:16 PM
We think alike! I have my DD in pants, leggings or bike shorts too because of your very reason: absorbancy! I also have a bag with another complete change of clothes for both kids (one for warm and another for colder weather), a backup diaper bag and portable potty (I have one of those doughnut ring shape blowup potties. You use small trash can bags to hold the pee/poo).

BTW, there was a suggestion from these boards (I don't know who I should give credit to) regarding using portable potties. When your child needs to go on the potty, put a maxi pad into the bag/bowl where your child will go potty, and the pad should absorb most of the pee. Makes it easier to dispose of.

I second everyone's comments about what to do about accidents. Most people are very understanding. Good luck!

AngelaS
06-12-2004, 04:38 PM
I was just going to share the portapotty idea. That's what we did with my oldest in the van and it worked like a CHARM!! :D