PDA

View Full Version : Old School Pull-ups...

workaholic
06-13-2004, 09:51 PM
Does anyone remember those thick little panties we had to wear when we were little. They were kind of like pull-ups but washable. I think I want to try using those instead of the pull-ups for DS. He's 25 months now and is doing well with the potty on his good days. However, he doesn't recognize when he's wet after peeing. I think the pull-ups keep him too dry. I'd like to use the old style underwear to help him become aware that he's wet. I have a feeling that Moms who cloth diapered will know where I can get them.

Plus, DS is very tiny for his age. He has a hard time getting on and off his current potty. We got it at Target and it can be used on the toilet seat or it has a bottom to make a small toddler size potty. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Aimee Larsen
Momma to Cooper
Crossing fingers for another...
Owner: Ella-Bags

egoldber
06-13-2004, 11:06 PM
As far as readily available things, there are Gerber cloth trainers that are available at Target. They are like you describe. But honestly, they are so UNabsorbant that I think that using regular underwear would get the same effect and be cheaper.

I am using underwear at home and pull-ups when we go out and about. After the first few days (knock on wood), DD no longer treated the pull-ups as diapers. We took a long car trip today (3 hours out and 3 hours back) and she wore the same pull-up all day and stayed dry all day. So for us, the pull-ups work OK. But my DD is a LOT older, she is 34 months. And she really wants to be dry and use the potty.

HTH,

Melanie
06-14-2004, 03:00 AM
How about the Bjorn Potty?

MelissaTC
07-07-2004, 03:57 PM
As Beth mentioned, there are the Gerber ones. There are also some made by cloth diapering companies/Moms. Bummis, Bumpy and Kushies make some. I am sure there are others...

HTH!

emmiem
07-07-2004, 05:14 PM
I use the Gerber training pants and I think they absorb fairly well. Her pants are wet but not leaking down her leg. Pull-ups didn't work for us. She just used them like a diaper plus they don't absorb big bowel movements over night. I use the training pants during the day and a diaper at night. My DD actually removes the diaper herself when she wakes up. My daughter is also small. We use the Blues clues potty insert on the big toilet with a stepping stool. She also loves her Baby Bjorn potty with the removable bowl. We keep one in each bathroom and one in the van. I also have a foldup toilet insert for restaurants.
Michele

brubeck
07-07-2004, 06:46 PM
I haven't tried them yet but apparently there is a new kind of Pampers Easy-Up that has a cloth liner so it absorbs but the cloth feels wet against the skin. I haven't tried them so I can't say how well they work.

cdmamatutu
07-10-2004, 05:39 PM
We used Kushies training pants. They were very absorbant, but bulky. We mainly used them at night because of the bulk. I found some underwear at J.C. Penney's that has a bit of padding in the center, and we use those during the day. They are just like regular underwear, but a little thicker in the middle. I think they might actually have a thin sponge in the padding, but not sure. Anyway, the brand was "Wee Essentials", and they came in a 2-pack. We really like these. LMK if you need more info, and I'll dig out a pair to see if there is any more info on the tag.

HTH

edited to correct brand name