PDA

View Full Version : Potty-trained at home, but peeing in the parking lot... (and a couple more ?s)

mamahill
06-22-2004, 06:20 PM
For the last few days, as long as we are at home, Ainsleigh will go in her potty chair (we didn't go anywhere yesterday, so we only used 2 diapers the whole day!). But I've been diapering her when we go out.

To her, pull-ups are a diaper, so I'm going to try to avoid those. She's cloth-diapered anyway. But today I put on an AIO over her panties and made a big deal about her wearing panties, blah blah blah. She did really well, and it was my fault for not taking her to a bathroom (it had been almost 2 hours, and at home she goes just about every hour!), but as we're standing there in the parking lot of the post office and I'm pulling boxes out she looks down and says, "Uh oh!" Oh nooooo. Luckily, she was wearing a long coat (looks like a dress) and I had JUST bought some of those Gerber trainers, so it wasn't that big of a deal. But how do you get them used to being out and going?

I guess I should also say that she either has nothing, or just her panties on at home. Maybe I should begin fully clothing her, so she gets used to that feeling?

Also, can your toddlers pull up their own underwear? Ainsleigh pulls and PULLS up the front (atchy matchy!), and occasionally tries the back. I've tried showing her how to pull up on the sides, but she doesn't seem to get that it gets "caught" on her bottom. LOL! But the first thing she asks for in the morning (besides daddy) is, "Panties now?"

luvbeinmama
06-23-2004, 01:26 AM
Try teaching her to pull up the front with one hand and the back with the other hand. That way her undies don't get "caught" on her bottom.

I would dress her at home the same as she is dressed when she is out. Keep a change of clothing with you at all times. Does she go completely on her own at home? Or do you remind her to go? If she is not needing reminders at home, you're doing REALLY well! When you are out, until she demonstrates that SHE will tell YOU when she needs to go, you really need to just take her periodically, and keep an eye on her for "I gotta go" cues. Especially watch her when she is playing and doesn't want to leave what she is doing. With DS I watch for the pee dance and grabbing his penis. I'm not sure if the girls grab themselves, I guess I'll find out soon enough though! LOL!

Sounds like you are doing just fine!

mamahill
06-23-2004, 03:57 PM
At home she does tell me, or she'll go over and sit on her potty chair by herself. First thing in the morning, before bath, after a nap, and before bed, we tell her to sit on the potty chair because "we go potty before/after we (wake up, got ot bed, take a bath, etc.)." Today we got back from running errands and her diaper was still dry (2 hours later!) so I asked her if she'd like to sit on the potty, and voila - urine!

When she's busy playing, or she's going to poop, though, she just does everything faster. That's how I can tell if she's gotta go - everything gets kind of frantic.

Thanks for the tips, though. I'm going to be more brave about venturing out with her - and be more careful about watching for her cues (I'm just thrilled she didn't go in the roundabout - that cover is a PAIN to clean).

She is usually wet, though, in the morning and after a nap, even though she then sits and goes potty, so I think she must be going in the middle of her nap. I guess it's just a matter of time before she can hold it while she's asleep. I don't mind using a couple diapers a day, though!

egoldber
06-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Sarah was doing OK in pull-ups, but once we switched to underwear completely and totally, she stopped having accidents. She wears a pull-up at nap and a diaper at night now and thats all. I think that wearing pull-ups sometimes (while out and about) was confusing her about when it was OK to pee in her pants (so to speak). By wearing underwear all the time, it really clicked for her.

And I agree to put her in what she will when out at home. The less "differences" there are, the less chance there is to be confused!

And Sarah is totally unable to pull up her underwear right now. She tugs at it, but doesn't really get the concept yet.

HTH,

luvbeinmama
06-24-2004, 01:31 AM
Wow! She's doing great! The holding pee while sleeping will just take time. DS was doing it right after potty training but he was about 38 mos. at the time. And I did find that the key to getting him accident free while out was to watch for those pee cues. It took a while, but now I don't usually have to tell him to go. Good luck! You could also put a lap pad (those waterproof flannel ones) and put it in the RA under Ainsleigh "just in case", too. I totally understand about cleaning those car seat covers. DD bathed hers in formula recently, yuck!

Jeanmick
06-24-2004, 01:58 AM
Your comment about going in the car seat got me thinking about a item I remembered seeing in the OSA catalog. My DD went a couple of times in her car seat when she was in the middle of potty training and boy, was that a PITA to clean!! Here is the link:

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/27222/150787/117.html

I wonder if it really works. Has anyone out there tried it out yet?

Edited for grammar

brubeck
07-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Sarah I worked with Amy on the pulling up and down for about an hour and she finally got it. I put one of her hands in front and one behind and had her pull them both up at the same time. Literally I had my hands on hers and would even do the pulling if necessary. Once she figured out that pulling in the back was the key it just clicked.

And Sandra LOL on the penis grabbing! Andrew has been doing that a lot lately! When he does I ask him if he is having a pee pee and he just repeats, "Pee pee!" He does a lot of verbal repeating. However recently he has been running up to me right after a poop and saying, "Poopy!" and obviously expecting to be changed. So he knows what he's doing! I just started putting him on the potty at bathtime a couple of days ago. And the long road starts again.... :)