PDA

View Full Version : Please help a potty-training newbie!

nigele
07-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Well, since Tom LOVES to pee when I take off his diaper and ask him to (I hold his diaper out to catch the pee) I think it's time to invest in a potty. I was thinking an insert would be good but I'd love to know which potties have worked well for others. Any advice would be appreciated!

mamahill
07-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Yay Tom! With boys it might be easier to get a step stool and let him aim into the big toilet, but standing on a stool and turning around to sit on the big potty was too complicated for Ainsleigh. Hence, the potty chairs. We have this Graco one:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000056JGW/104-6742760-6621505?v=glance&s=baby&n=542434&me=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&vi=pictures&img=14#more-pictures
And she loves it. The seat lifts off for the cup to lift out and empty. I didn't want one that just pulls out of the back. The lid also closes for a nice step stool.

Then we bought "The First Years" potty (can't find a picture). It's fine too, but not as luxurious as the Graco one ;).

Ainsleigh likes both, and the First Years one's goes in the car when we go to the beach or wherever. Mostly, though, I'd take Tom to BRU where he can actually sit on the different chairs. I had my heart set on the Bjorn one, but Ainsleigh couldn't stand up from that one (got caught on the splash guard), so it was a no go. Giving her a test drive definitely helped.

Good luck! I have actually found potty-training to be way more fun than stressful. And it is soooooo nice now!

nigele
07-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, Sarah. I'm so proud of the little guy. :-) My ped. actually told me not to teach Tom to stand and pee just yet since it's hard to convince boys to sit down to poop on the potty if they are used to peeing standing up. LOL!

I never thought about the possibility of him having trouble turning around from the step stool onto a big potty but now that you mention it, I bet he would have trouble. Thanks for the warning.

I think we'll take a trip to BRU tomorrow afternoon!