PDA

View Full Version : So is it a mistake to follow his lead with a baby coming in 2.5 months?

Karenn
07-19-2004, 12:07 PM
I never imagined I'd be posting this question! In fact, on the day August Mom posted that Justin used the potty, I had to LOL because the only thing Colin had done that morning was pee all over the floor at the Y! I really wasn't planning on any sort of potty training until after the new baby came.

Yesterday I was cleaning out the closet in the new baby's room and without thinking, I pulled out the 2nd potty and put it in the downstairs bathroom. He's been using potty #1 as a place to lounge fully clothed for months now, so I didn't expect him to show any interest in potty #2. (He actually really didn't care for it when we'd had it out before.) Boy was I wrong! He showed immediate interest in it so I asked him if he wanted to sit on the potty without his diaper. He said yes and proceeded to sit there naked for at least 35 minutes to "wait for his pee pee." The pee pee never came, but he's since been on the potty sans diaper twice this morning.

So knowing that the arrival of a new baby often causes a regression in potty training, do I even want to go down this road? Can I avoid this road at this point? I'd hate to miss his "readiness window," but I don't want to set him up for failure either. Any thoughts at all?

brubeck
07-19-2004, 02:36 PM
You know the only risk you face by starting now is that when the baby is born he may forget' it all.As long as that's not a problem for you, go for it! Certainly you don't want to be bending over and cleaning up a lot of floor messes in your last trimester, but if he WANTS to sit on the potty and use it let him. He's enjoyig it so go with the flow. If any progress is made, super! If he forgets it when the baby is born, so what? You won't be any worse off than you are now.

I think that as long as you let him go at his own pace you're fine. JMHO.

BethinMass
07-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Just wanted to agree and go with the flow.

My daughter was a bit older when my son was born. By the time the baby was born or a few weeks after, my daughter was completly potty trained and had given up her pacifier.

Confused the heck out of me, since everything I read said that then wasn't a good time.

Follow his signals and you should be fine.