PDA

View Full Version : Splash Guard Injury Risk??

kfcboston
08-15-2004, 07:54 PM
OK, here's one from my mom I wanted to toss out to you all. I just bought the Bjorn chair today. DS is showing interest in at least watching me go potty, so I figured what the heck. Anyhoo, my mom commented that in her day they were told to avoid splash guards as toddlers can hurt themselves on them, and if that happens "you can forget about potty training" (obviously not literally).

Any of you heard this, or experienced it? TIA!

Melanie
08-16-2004, 03:23 AM
In the tips section at the beginning of the Dr. Sear's potty picture book, "You can go to the potty," it mentions this as well. However, to me, the bjorn potty looks pretty benign in that regard. The shield is smooth and rounded without sharp edges. I have seen and purchased some others where that shield looks pretty wicked!

HTH
MElanie

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

shall85296
09-02-2004, 05:43 PM
How exactly can they injure themselves?
Also- what exactly is a "splash guard"?
sh

Hallie_D
09-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Is your mom concerned about specific injuries to "boy parts" or is she worried that toddlers might fall near the potty and be generally injured by the splash guard?

I was not concerned about an injury, but I was worried that the high splash guard on the Bjorn potty would prevent DS from sitting down at all (he is very petite). We tried it out in the store (with clothes on, of course!) and DS was definitely too small to "get around" the splash guard. The chair we chose has a much lower splash guard and is smaller all around--and I can tell you, he has still sat down right on the guard. However, it never seems to bother him at all--he just scoots himself back a little. And honestly, the way he sometimes handles his "boy parts" in the tub makes me cringe, but I don't think little ones have the same sensitivity in that area as their fathers do!

Can your DS practice getting on and off the potty with clothes on (or at least a diaper)? If he is having trouble, then the splash guard might be too high for him and you might want to go with a different potty.

HTH,