PDA

View Full Version : Hooray! He peed in the potty! Now what?

Hallie_D
08-19-2004, 05:39 PM
For the last few weeks we've been sitting DS on his potty to hear a story right before his bath time. He really enjoys it, but has not actually USED the potty (although several times he peed the second we put him into the tub). That is, until last night, when he surprised himself by peeing about 30 seconds after he sat down. We were very excited, told him how proud we were, and he was very proud of himself.

His potty came with stickers, and we asked if he wanted one (to put on the potty). He did not. We asked if he would like another treat, and he said "Candy!" Well, the only candy we had around the house (besides hard candies that are definitely a choking hazard for him) were some preggie pops in flavors I never wanted to try. He took a purple one, gave it two licks, and gave it right back to me. Luckily he didn't seem upset, and didn't ask for different candy, but was very happy to ride his bike around naked for a few minutes before his bath.

Today I bought some bite-size Twizzlers nugget-things, thinking that we could give him one piece if he was successful again. But now I'm wondering if this is a good approach. Did you use treats of some kind to encourage potty-going? My MIL used starlight mints and my mother used M&Ms with me and my sister.

Can you tell that I haven't read any books on the subject? :-)

TIA!!!

PS--I should add that he is in day care during the week, where they encourage him to go potty 4 times/day, and don't give candy but lots of praise in front of all the children whenever anyone is successful.

trumansmom
08-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Congratulations! Now the real work begins! :)

DS started using the potty when he was about your son's age. At that point, just the big family happy dance was enough for him. It wasn't until he got a bit older that he started getting motivated by stickers. (We avoided the candy route, but that's mainly because I was pregnant and ate all the candy as soon as it came into the house!!)

When we started getting REALLY serious, we started using stickers for day to day stuff, but added the promise of a BooBah (sp?) dvd if he pooped three times, and a Blues Clues dvd if he stayed dry for an entire week. It became too much for him, and we're now taking a breather from the entire process.

So, clearly I'm not an expert on the subject, but I would recommend if you can get away with just the happy dance, do it!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04