PDA

View Full Version : Please explain "training pants"

teddy
08-25-2004, 12:23 AM
Help, I think my DD will need training pants soon but what exactly are these and where can I find them? I can't really go around to a bunch of stores and look so I'd rather just get some recommendations and go to 1 or 2 stores.

Also, do they come in size 12-18 months? For reference, my DD is slim and Gymbo 12-18 bike shorts fit her well. Gymbo 18-24 leggings are a bit loose on her. Circo/Target 18 months shorts are too big on her.

Jeanne
08-25-2004, 01:18 AM
I believe you're talking about the classic cotton training underwear and not Pull-Ups?
If so, they are cotten and padded. I got a few packs at Target made by Gerber but we never actually used them much. My oldest was not a heavy wetter so these did come in handy the first day we actually took the diapers off of her. She had two accidents that day and the training pants held it. But I think if you have a normally heavy wetter, they wouldn't be of any use.

Also, after the second day of training, my DD insisted on wearing Dora underwear as it was "big girl" underwear. She never had an accident after that first day so we actually never used the other six pairs of training pants I bought.

I bought the smallest size they had - 2T I think. Charlotte is a slim 29 pounds and normally in 2T so the size was fine.

jasmine
08-25-2004, 03:14 AM
Hi,

Here is a link to the gerber website explaining their various training pants.

http://www.gerberchildrenswear.com/products/subcategory.aspx?cat=1&subcat=6

I bought around 6 packs at Target (but only because for some reason at the store I went to, they were only $1.61 a pack instead of the normal $6). I think I would have only bought 1 or 2 if they were regular priced. As the previous poster mentioned, you never know if you would actually end up using them.

They come in 2T, 3T, and 4T. They recommend buying them a little loose so your child can pull them on and off easily.

We found them useful when DS had to go to daycare. We initially sent him in pull-ups, but he treated them like a diaper. So our daycare relented and let us send him there with 2 pairs of the training pants on (for extra absorbency).

HTH,

Monica

teddy
08-28-2004, 12:28 AM
Gracias!! This info is very helpful. Off to Target I go tomorrow!

JandKsMom
09-14-2004, 09:53 PM
The vinyl pants that are on the same Gerber site are probably pretty useful too. I found an inexpensive swim diaper and have been using that over the padded training pants when we go out. That way we don't have to backslide into pull-ups or diapers, but the pee doesn't go all over the stroller or car seat. The next time I go to Target, I'll see if they have the vinyl pants, because I'd like to have more than one "cover"

One thing - you have to kind of tuck the training pants all the way inside the cover, otherwise it wicks out and still makes a bit of a mess.

good luck!