PDA

View Full Version : How did you ACTUALLY potty-train?

Mommie2MadLyn
08-25-2004, 08:49 PM
We started yesterday officially! She has shown an interest in the potty for a long time now, and we finally just took off the diapers yesterday(except for nap-time and bedtime.)
So here's what we've been doing...every 30 mins. or so I bring her in the bathroom and sit her on the potty. Sometimes she goes, and we make a HUGE fuss! Sometimes she doesn't. I went and bought her all of the "big girl" undies (Dora, Blues Clues, etc.) She seems excited about wearing them!
But, here's my question....how do they make the "connection" and how long did it take for your kiddos? I mean she goes when I sit her on there, but is that really training because she's not telling ME? I know its only day 2, and she actually has done really well...only 2 accidents! But I just thought you guys might have some tips! Thanks!

brubeck
08-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Well that's how DD started being dry. I took her to the potty regularly and she stayed totally dry for a week or two. Then once she was used to feeling dry and wearing the underwear I started delaying her potty times to see if she would go on her own. Of course she had some accidents at this point but since she was used to not having them she started freaking out. I started 'reminding' her and having her go on her own and then slowly the reminding went down to occasional reminders and then one day I stopped reminding her altogether.

If she is staying dry when you take her that's great! She's actually unconsciously learning to hold it because she knows that when it's time you will take her. This is a USEFUL skill to have, trust me. :) Once she's great with you taking her, you can start to pull back a bit like I've suggested above.

HTH!

egoldber
08-25-2004, 10:52 PM
My method was pretty similar to Helen's. I waited until she actually ASKED me to go the potty. For a few days she ran around naked from the waist down and I had her sit on the potty periodically. After a few days of that we went to underwear at home and pullups when out, but again me asking her often if she had to go. We then graduated to all underwear all the time and me asking her often. That all took about 3 weeks. After a few more weeks, I started asking her less and less often. Now I only ask her if she has to go before we leave the house, or if I know we will be somewhere without a convenient potty.

That whole process was about 6 weeks for us, but almost all our accidents were in the first couple weeks. For us, waiting until she was really ready AND wanted to do it were the keys.

HTH,

Hallie_D
08-26-2004, 12:34 PM
I think your second sentence might be the key to all our problems. DS has been interested in the potty for a while, and now he loves sitting on it before his bath at night (we read him stories) but he's only successfully used it once--and I think he was as surprised and pleased as we were! On weekends I've tried letting him run around naked, sitting him on the potty every 20 minutes or so, and he will still just pee on the floor when he has to go (or in the tub). Maybe he just isn't ready. We haven't been pushy about it at all, esp. since he is in daycare during the week and has to wear diapers until he is trained. They change diapers at set times each day (unless there is an obvious reason to change earlier) and they also ask him to sit on the potty at diaper changing times. Unfortunately, he is usually wet at changing times, so he never needs to go at designated potty-sitting times.

Jeanne
08-26-2004, 12:55 PM
The biggest thing that I think works is to get rid of the diapers and pull-ups all together with the exception of bed time for the first few weeks.

My DD goes to preschool three days per week so they sit her on the potty every hour. They were doing this for about two months so that type of consistency was key. However, although she would sit, she would hardly ever go. She was being really lazy about it as long as she had a pull-up on. So one day we decided to just chuck everything and send her in in training underwear. She had two accidents that first day but has never had one since. We went to regular underwear after that second day because she loves to pick out a different character pair each morning.

So our process was about two days once we went to underwear completely. And she was ready. We didn't force it on her until we knew she knew what she was doing. That's also key.

Additionally, I do keep the small potty in the back of my car and we do use it in the car when we are out. That makes a big difference in her comfort level. She's held it for over two hours because of the fear of big tiled public bathrooms. She's just not comfortable in them. And while I was reluctant to give up the pull-ups for fear of accidents, I did chuck them since she's never had one and has proven that she will hold it rather than use a public restroom. That's good and bad but I have tried to force her to go and she just gets upset about it so I figure she will go when it gets to the point that she can't hold it anymore.

I've also found that the fold-up plastic potty was a waste for us. I put in down on the seat and when I went to put her on it, it slid out and scared her to the point that she won't sit on it now. So now I have to carry about Clorox wipes and clean the whole toilet off before she will sit on it. Shrouding the bowl hasn't been much easier because she doesn't want to feel the paper on her butt. Ay yuy yuy!
Best of Luck!

Mommie2MadLyn
08-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Well, we have made it to day 4! Only 2 accidents! (one on day 1, and 1 on day 2)! So I really do think she is doing fabulous! Like I said, we are only putting the pull-up on her for naptime and bedtime. I also bought a bunch of stickers and she gets to pick one every time she "goes" on the potty. This has been very helpful for getting her excited to use the potty. I'm definitely not ready to leave the house yet...but soon I hope! The Clorox wipes is a good idea for public toilets because we have tried the "paper" thing before and DD did not like it either! So, I hope that things will continue in the right direction and I appreciate all of the support. Keeping all fingers AND toes crossed at this point!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/12177.jpg

brigmaman
08-28-2004, 02:16 AM
Hooray for Madison!! Just happened to be checking in to this forum (Twice this week Brig told us he was peeing! And he always tells us when he's doing the other...) and I noticed how well Madison is doing! Maybe Brig can observe Madison's success when we come down next month! (ok, sorry, that's a bit wierd)

iluvmy2boys
08-29-2004, 10:28 PM
I can't wait to see that little impish face on Tuesday!!

She's such a cutie and YAY for her pottying success! Day 2 and Holden's only had 1 accident today and that was this morning!