PDA

View Full Version : wearing the potty??

lfp2n
08-31-2004, 11:32 AM
DD is very interested in me going to the bathroom and diapers and peeing and pooping in general so I thought I'd buy a potty so we could have it in the bathroom to sort of get used to it. I bought a Graco one, DD loves it, she takes it apart wears the seat as a necklace and puts the red pot on her head (she is going through a hat obsession at the moment). I'm wondering if this is a good idea, it seems kind of gross if she does this when its actually in use, is she too young, should I put it away in case she thinks its OK to use it as a toy, or is this normal? Do all kids play with the potty, how do you teach them the 'yuck respect'about not touching it.

DD 3/03

Karenn
08-31-2004, 12:11 PM
Ah yes, I think Colin would have thought the baby bjorn potty we bought made a fabulous hat! We let Colin "explore" the potty a little bit- see how the pieces fit together etc. (we also have that Graco one.) But for the most part, we expected him to consider it a potty from the beginning and if he wanted to "play" with it, we'd just say, "The potty is for sitting on. Can you show me how you sit on the potty?" This seemed to work OK. He was 17 mos. when we bought the potty and seemed to really enjoy showing us how he could sit on the potty. I just had images of the red pot being used as a hat after he'd learned to use it as a potty and didn't even want to go down that road. :)

hjdong
08-31-2004, 05:43 PM
It must be fairly common because all of the potty books I got for DS had something about not using it as a hat. He never did it, but I did have my concerns that the books would give him the idea!