PDA

View Full Version : Which potty should we get?

cchavez
09-24-2004, 09:13 PM
Diego isn't ready to potty train but I want to buy him a potty in the next couple of months so he can get used to the idea....kwim???? That way he can start sitting on it, get comfy with it, etc.....which do you recommend? I think the Bjorn potty (not the insert) gets good reviews.....I called the Right Start and they said there were two....a big one and small one.....tia!

LucyG
09-24-2004, 09:18 PM
Christine,

I'm thinking the same thing. My DD is getting interested in the potty, and we want to have one around for her to practice on when she wants. I'm leaning toward the Graco Rewards potty (think that's the name), based on things people have said about it on this board.
But, we're going to take DD to BRU to sit on some potties first, as she is really short, and I want to make sure she can stand up and sit down easily on her own. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm kind of excited about all of this! :-)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

Momof3Labs
09-24-2004, 09:39 PM
We started with the Cushie Tushie insert but it slides around a lot on our toilet seats, and the splash guard is non-existent. So we just switched to the Baby Bjorn insert and it is GREAT! Colin is a monkey-see, monkey-do type of kid, so we went with an insert. He probably wouldn't catch on as quickly to a floor potty since mommy and daddy don't sit on a little floor potty! But he's also quite tall, so many floor potties were too small for him. Some kids are more intimidated by bigger things and do better with the smaller floor potties. I do have to say that it is really nice to just flush it all away (when using an insert) rather than having to wash out a bowl - blech.

Karenn
09-24-2004, 11:40 PM
We bought the Graco rewards potty first, but I thought it was too big for my short boy, so I bought the smaller baby bjorn potty and put the graco one away. For the first few months he really enjoyed sitting on the Baby bjorn potty, but always fully clothed. Then I pulled the graco one out of a closet and he was very excited to try it without his diaper. Now that he's actually using the potty for pottying purposes, he definitely prefers the graco. I think he likes the padded seat and the fact that it looks more like a "real" potty.

lfp2n
09-25-2004, 02:03 PM
We bought the Graco one just for DD to look at and get used to, for about the first week she sat on it, fully clothed etc and I thought it was a good idea. But then she started to just play with it, pull it apart, put her toys in it etc and wasn't interested in sitting on it. Its almost too interesting, I'm wondering if a simpler one piece, no lid would be less attractive. I kept trying to be firm and say its for sitting on not playing- but this usually happened while I was 'otherwise engaged' in the bathroom myself so hard to enforce! Anyway I decided it was too much hassle and I've put it away, I still don't really know when to bring it out or whether its worth trying to enforce appropriate potty behaviour or just turn a blind eye.

Lucy DD 3/03

cchavez
09-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the quick responses! Lori, I would love to use an insert but I think it would freak D out....

We actually will need two potties(upstairs/downstairs) so maybe start out with Bjorn and when training really kicks in we can get the Graco.....decisions! decisions!!

tippy
09-26-2004, 05:11 AM
I was just wondering the same thing. Sorry no advise here. I did see this on a site the other day and thougt it was so cute. Interested in what everyone thinks.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13681.jpg

Momof3Labs
09-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Cute, but looks like it would be a pain to empty and clean.

sarsah
10-06-2004, 07:21 PM
My DS#1 had no interest in any potty seat (and we tried several). He only liked the insert that went on the regular toilet. To be honest, I was thrilled -- no potty seat to empty, etc., just flush and you're good to go. Part of the of excitement of going potty for DS was flushing the toilet when he was done.

Sarah......mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03).