PDA

View Full Version : Freaked out by the potty chair - WWYD?

missym
09-25-2004, 12:31 PM
We hadn't thought to start potty training DD yet, but last weekend, she saw the potty chair in her closet and just had to have it out. She is in day care, so I know she observes kids using the chair daily.

She thoroughly examined the chair, then started tugging at her pants. I pulled them down for her, and she sat on the chair. After some intense concentration, she peed! I was so amazed, I probably made too big a fuss over it. She acted scared and wanted held and cuddled. For the rest of the day, she was very nervous about even seeing the chair. I put it in the bathroom and gradually over the past week, she has gotten to the point where she will lift the lid and look inside, but if I ask her if she needs to potty, she gets nervous again.

Would you leave the potty chair out, or put it away for now? I really don't want to stress her out about this, but I don't want to discourage her if she is ready to start training.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
18 months and counting!

hjdong
09-26-2004, 03:31 PM
I would just leave it out but not suggest she use it. Let he explore it a little. DS used the potty about 5 times a day for a month or so aroudn June. For a while, he wanted the potty, then he wanted an insert. Then, all summer, he wanted nothing to do with it. We left it out but everyone ignoredit. Now, for the past week, he's peed in it (and on an insert when we're out) with very few accidents (usually at night when he's starting to get tired). But, he wants nothing to do with pooping in it, even though he had no problem in Spring. I try to imagine if someone was trying to teach me to pee and poop in my pants. It would take a few stops and starts and trying and hating it.

I think since she's still looking in the potty, it shows she has some interest. Also, she's going to see potties at daycare anyway. DS loves the Once Upon a Potty book. He had me read it three times in a row last week and the third time kept saying throughout the book, "Bye-bye pee-pee, bye-bye poo-poo." So you might want to get that or another book. I've been amazed at how much of the process is mental.

Good luck,

missym
09-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Thanks, Holly. I do have Once Upon a Potty, I just hadn't thought to start reading it with her yet. She seems to be getting more comfortable with the potty chair, although she hasn't shown interest in using it again. Yesterday she was pretending to wash her hands in the "bowl." Ummmm....

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
18 months and counting!