PDA

View Full Version : Willful 3.5 Year Old - Need Advice for Friend

August Mom
10-09-2004, 09:57 PM
One of my friends is at her wit's end. Her 3.5 year old DS will not use the potty (pee or poop). However, he is very upset when he has anything in his diaper. He immediately asked to be changed, even when just slightly wet. She has tried various techniques. Currently, she has a potty point chart. She let her DS pick out a toy that he wanted. He can't open the toy until he gets 14 potty points. He gets 1 point each time he uses the potty - pee or poop. It's been several weeks and he has 0 points. It seems like a total control issue with her DS. Does anyone have advice to overcome this?

She had wanted to enroll him in preschool but he couldn't go because he wasn't potty trained. I don't think he even knows this, though, so I don't think that's the issue.

hjdong
10-10-2004, 01:08 PM
This sounds a little cruel and I have not idea if it will work, but what if she waited to change him. Not forver, just, "I'm busy right now honey, I'll let you know when I have time." And make him wait a few minutes. Then, wait until he starts having fun, playing, whatever, and then saying, "oh, honey, we have to check your diaper (even though she obviously knows he doesn't need it)" and interupt his fun. I would think eventually he would get sick of this. Or, what worked with my little borther was just to switch him to regular underwear and let him suffer through being cold and wet when he peed. It's a pain for the parents - mess wise - for a while, but it did work.

HTH