PDA

View Full Version : I am confused...

Aarohismom
10-28-2004, 05:22 PM
My DD just turned 2. At her routine checkup her ped told me that I can start potty training her. 3 days ago before her bath she was running naked everywhere, so I grabbed her and asked if she wanted to use the potty. Surprise! she really peed in. Now 3 days in a row before bath and whenever I remember I take her to the potty and she is peeing in the potty (and on the floor too!)
Now I am confused about what to do next? I feel like I don't have enough information. Is it too early to start potty training? She doesn't tell me that she has to go. Shall I wait till she tells me that she needs to go? Or continue with what I am doing right now? Is there any good book on potty training?
TIA,

brubeck
10-28-2004, 07:23 PM
As long as you keep your expectations low, it sounds like you are off to a good start. She definitely knows what to do. What you have to do now is teach her how to recognize that she needs to go. Many kids learn this faster when they are naked (as your DD probably is before the bath). Sit with her in a room with a washable floor and a potty (real or portable) and play with her. When she has to go, try to get her to the potty. If she pees on the floor, have her 'help' you clean it up and try to show her that it belongs in the potty. If you reward her for going in the potty (stickers, small toy or candy, etc.) she may pick it up faster. You could fill her up with drinks if you want to speed up the process.

This may or may not do anything, but if there is any progress at all you are on your way!

Good luck! HTH!

Aarohismom
10-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Thanks for your advice. It worked like a charm. Now she has started telling when she has to go (only when she is naked). Wow! it is going little fast for me, now I think I am not ready to start training her ;-)

brubeck
10-30-2004, 08:43 AM
That's terrific! Keep the naked thing going for a little while to see if she really gets it. Then if it sticks, buy her some very LOOSE underwear (preferably loose at the leg holes so air can flow through and touch her *there*) and see if she can do it while wearing those. Then you can eventually move up to more clothing.

IKWYM about being a little scared, but trust me, it's a much better feeling than the dread you get if it happens too slowly! :)