PDA

View Full Version : When to start using training pants?

Zansu
11-02-2004, 03:26 PM
DS is doing ok with using the potty once or twice a day at home, and occasionally sits on the potty at school.

I just got 2 pairs of Bummis training pants, and I plan to order a few from HA too.

But when do we start using them? When he's using the potty consistently during the day when prompted? Or when he is using the potty *without* being prompted?

And once we're using them, how long will they be in use? A few weeks? Months?

(And I don't even want to think about night training...)

egoldber
11-02-2004, 06:30 PM
I never used them. We went straight to underwear. :)

And DD has been daytime trained for several months and I have no thoughts yet of attempting night time training!

brubeck
11-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Nighttime training is a whole separate story. Your child may be totally daytime trained but may not be physically able to wake up at night when they need to go.

I started using training pants when my DD was going to the potty when I told her. As long as she could stay dry (most of the time) what did it matter why she was going potty? At first I did use Easy-Ups when we were out, and then I slowly started taking her out in training pants for short trips, preferably without anything to drink in the hour beforehand!

They will be in use for as long as you want. I actually kept DD in them long after she stopped having accidents because they were easy for her to pull up and down (she had a hard time hooking her thumbs into bare elastic waist underwear to pull down). Eventually I found underwear she did well in.