PDA

View Full Version : Which Potty Chair to Buy?

daisymommy
11-12-2004, 09:35 PM
Any favorite actual potty chairs to buy (not the insert for the big potty). I'd like to get something for Joshua to use to "get aquainted" with using the potty, before we move on to the big scary adult potty!

Let me additionally ask, are there any favorite potty training books (for parents or kids), videos, etc.

Help! I'm sooo scared to even venture into this arena, I'm putting it off!

wendmatt
11-13-2004, 02:34 AM
We got the Graco one, it's not one that's super special, but it's easy to empty and has a seat that can be used on the big toilet. GO for it, it's not so scary! Emily just potty trained herself so I didn't get around to getting books, but I know Elmo makes one! Good luck.

egoldber
11-13-2004, 07:31 AM
Is he asking to go? If not, I'd wait until he instigates it. You'll have a much easier time.

I have the Graco comfy seat one and like it. But I have read here that it is not so great for boys because it gets dirty in hard to clean places. I did not have that issue with DD though.

But a lot of people I know start out with the insert. I found it easier for DD to have a separate potty, but a lot of people have really good success with the inserts. And you never know, he may WANT to use the big potty, especially if he sees daddy using it that way, because he can't really stand up and use the small potties. I would say that most of the boys in my playgroup that trained between ages 2 1/2 and 3 learned by standing to use the big toilet to pee in and an insert for poops.

As for books (we never used videos), DD really liked "The Potty Book for Girls" (and it also comes in a boy version that is the same story with different pictures). Most poeple I know really like that one.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764152327/qid=1100348968/sr=2-3/ref=pd_ka_b_2_3/104-8727510-4118305

As for books for ME, I read a couple, none of which I found especially helpful.

HTH,

August Mom
11-13-2004, 12:58 PM
We have the Baby Bjorn potty chair and like it. It's pretty easy to keep clean. It has a built-in, non-removable splash shield.

As for books, my mom went crazy so we have a bunch.

DS's favorites are: Caillou Potty Time and The Toddler's Potty Book by Alida Allison.

These aren't my favorites, but these are the 2 that DS asks to read.

daisymommy
11-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks gals!

Beth, no, he isn't asking at all. He tells me every time he wets/poops in his diaper, then starts tugging on it like he wants it off. So, I figured I needed to seize the window of opportunity.

Does he still have a few developmental milestones to go before I try to PT? I honestly cannot imagine him even being able to pull down his own pants, let alone get up and down on a potty, wipe himself, etc. Or do you just help them do all those things every single time when they are still young, until they are old enough to do it by themsleves? So really, their job right now would be to just "hold it" and eliminate in the potty rather than the diaper, and your job is to help with "technical assistance" ? :) Or should I wait until he is physically capable of doing all those things himself?

UGH! I am really so clueless in this department! (hence, I haven't done anything yet, even though he is 27 months, so I thought I should).

egoldber
11-13-2004, 02:12 PM
My DD was telling me for several months before she trained when she had gone. I think we probably could have trained at that point, but I literally waited until she told me "Mommy I want to pee pee in the potty" LOL! She was about 33 months then. I think I could have trained her earlier, but this way was sooooo easy for me. And I'm all about easy for me! :) She was essentially completely potty trained in about 2 weeks. I mean from diapers to underwear all the time (except for nap and nighttime).

But even at 33 months she had a hard time pulling her pants up and down by herself. I still have to help her sometimes. So I think your description is pretty good. Their job is to hold it and your job is to help, LOL! So I would not wait until he can do things before starting.

Karenn
11-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Just wanted to add that we're using the graco potty for a boy and it's working pretty well. It's been nice to have the insert because like Beth said, on a couple of occassions Colin's asked to use the big potty instead of his little potty and we've been able to just put the insert on it. It DOES have a couple of places that are harder to clean, but I've been dilligent about cleaning those places after each use and so far we haven't had a problem.

I'm not generally a Dr. Sears fan, but I really like his potty training book. (the one geared towards kids) It's called You can go to the potty. It just has a nice tone and presents all the important information.

Momof3Labs
11-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Amy, I'd suggest introducing the idea of a potty to him and see where it goes. Colin has been peeing on the potty for quite a few months now before his shower, but hasn't taken it a step further (we are following his lead) in asking to use it at different times of day. We just noticed that he would ALWAYS pee in the tub or the shower, so decided to introduce the potty seat (we use the Baby Bjorn insert) and it has been pretty successful in that he's taken quite well to it. So, I feel like he knows where the pee goes and how to put it there (lol), so when he is ready to start using it more regularly, he'll let us know.

We went with an insert because Colin is a "no fear" type of kid and prefers to do things the "big boy" way.