PDA

View Full Version : How do you transition from potty chair to adult toilet?

daisymommy
11-12-2004, 09:38 PM
For those of you moms who have started out using a child's potty chair, when and how do you transition them to an adult size toilet? I really think Josh is too small to climb up onto an adult toilet and situate himself right now. I think he's much more apt to be comfortable with a potty chair his own size to start out with, but I'm worried about how to transition to "the real thing" later on.

Are there favorite step stools to use for when your child climbs up by themselves?

wendmatt
11-13-2004, 02:38 AM
When we are out I just hold Emily on the big toilet so she's used to going on the real toilet. On occasion she'll let me put the seat on the big toilet and go but she mostly likes to use her potty at home. I haven't got a step stool for her to use the toilet on her own yet, don't know when to do that, but as she uses the big toilet other places I'm not too worried about the transition, it'll happen when she's ready.

egoldber
11-13-2004, 07:24 AM
The potty seat we had had a removable insert that went on the big toilet. After she had mastered the basics of potty training, I really started talking up how BIG girls use the BIG potty like mommies and daddies. Pretty soon she wanted to give it a try. After a couple months with the insert, she was asking to use the big potty with no insert.

So I basically followed her lead, but I also definitely encouraged it!

And Ikea has some nice stepstools that are very cheap in the bath section.

HTH,

brubeck
11-13-2004, 09:58 AM
You definitely need a stepstool for the toilet (and prefereably one for the sink so they can wash their hands). Just think about how hard it would be to make a poop if your feet could not press into something solid.

If the adult toilet is too big you will need an insert to make it smaller. I like the ones that attach to the big toilet and flip up and down so that adults can use it easily too. Something like this:

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=203&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=203&change=117

As for how to get him there, where do you normally keep the portable potty? Wherever it is, move it somewhere close to the bathroom. If it moves around, tell Josh it needs to stay in one place. Let him spend a few days using it in the new spot. Then move it closer to the bathroom. Eventually you can move it into the bathroom (preferably right next to the toilet). Eventually he will get used to going in there when he has tp potty. At that point he should be noticing that he has a 'baby' potty and you have the 'real/grownup' potty. He will probably be more receptive to using it at that point but if not, at least you have his portable one in a plce where you can easily clean up after it!

HTH!

daisymommy
11-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Ahhh, now I understand better. I think the Graco potty that you have Beth sounds great, because I'll bet Sarah was more comfortable sitinng on the toilet with the seat insert she was used to. I think I'll do that!

I was just afraid that I would be shoting myslef in the foot so-to-speak, if I started out with a small potty, then had to teach him to use the adult toilet. I had no idea how you do this!

I've heard so many say to just skip it and start on the adult toilet, but I really couldn't see that working to well for Joshua. I guess it's just nice to hear real life stories of people who have started with a potty and transitioned to the real thing successfully without too much trama :)

Thank-you for the advice. Keep it coming!

JElaineB
11-13-2004, 08:29 PM
Jacob's been peeing on the potty chair for a while on occassion, not potty training, but if he wants to go we let him go. A few days ago he wanted to go on the potty but he had thrown the removable bucket part (to catch the pee in) down the stairs and so I said, "let's go in the big potty". I tried to get him to sit on the toilet with me holding him, but that didn't fly (our potty chair seat does supposedly fit on the toilet but I haven't tried to do that yet). So I got him a stool (my old curved nursing stool which is now Jacob's bathroom stool) and stood him up next to the toilet and held onto him and told him to pee in the big potty standing up like daddy. And he did! He loved peeing in the big potty and signed more. He doesn't understand I can't control how much pee is in him :). He stood up and peed at the regular toilet at his grandmother's 4 times the next day, and now pretty much only wants to pee standing up in the big potty, not in the potty chair. We have never had a poop in the potty yet, so I don't know how that is going to work out, but I figure I have plenty of time to worry about it since we aren't actively potty training.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

jubilee
11-14-2004, 03:14 AM
Congratulations Jacob! I'm glad to hear that my nursing stool may be worth keep around!