PDA

View Full Version : At what age are they ready?

Southerngirl75
11-21-2004, 05:06 PM
My DD will be 2 in February and is showing some signs of potty training. We have a potty for her in the bathroom and lately she has been asking to go pee pee. We take her diaper off and put her on the potty and she will sit there but not pee. She HAS gone once in the potty so I know she knows what to do. She will even wipe herslef. LOL too cute! She always tells me when she has a dirty diaper and she even will ask to have her diaper changed for a pee diaper too. A

Anyway when should I start activly trying to train her? Is she still too young? She is 21 months now. She is showing some interest so I don't know if I should start now or wait until she turns 2. If she is ready how do I start introducing it? I really need some advice from BTDT mom's. Thanks!

sparkeze
11-21-2004, 10:37 PM
I think it varies so much depending on the child...

My DS started staying dry at night and dry for 2-3 hours during the day when he was between 20-24 mos... but now he's 31 mos and he's still in diapers. He has pooped in his potty twice, but is just so uninterested in sitting there long enough to do anything. I have him bottomless at home and he asks for a diaper when he needs to go, but whenever I ask him if he wants to go on the potty he says no.

My thinking is that I'll keep encouraging it until he decides he really wants to do it. Maybe I'm just lazy... everyone says when they're really ready it'll be easy so I'm just waiting.

egoldber
11-22-2004, 09:53 AM
It just depends on the child. Being able to stay dry for several hours at a time is a good time, but honestly, my DD NEVER did that until we actually took away the diapers and put her in underwear. She had no incentive to "hold it" so to speak.

You coudl probably train her given the signs she is showing. But my philosophy is to wait to actively train until they are super duper ready. And also when they have really good verbal skills.

My DD did not train until she was almost 3, but she was effectvely trained in less than 2 weeks.

HTH,

Southerngirl75
11-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Thank you ladies for your advice. I am not going to push it right now. I will just continue to let her explore it. I do have a funny story though. Tonight Dh and I were trying to get her ready for bed and she kept kicking and hitting us so we put her in time out. At the time she happened to be naked. She was kicking b/c she didn't want us to put her diaper on (she loves being naked). So we left the room while she was in time out in her bed. She was just laying there when all of a sudden she started SCREAMING like she was hurt. We ran in there and she had peed all over her crib. It was all over her legs too. She HATED it so maybe when we do potty train she will train quickly since she hated being wet like that. Ha ha maybe wishful thinking. LOL

brubeck
11-29-2004, 10:29 AM
It is not wishful thinking. My friend had a DD who was just like that. She HATED being wet. She potty trained in about a month at age 2. However there were other negatives. This girl would throw a temper tantrum whenever she got a speck of water on her shirt, even if it were from washing hands or a water fountain.... you get the idea. Her Mom always had to bring spare clothing because she couldn't stand wearing a shirt or pants with a wet spot.