PDA

View Full Version : Night-time training

cara1
11-28-2004, 10:43 PM
DS has been using the potty regularly since July. Sure, there is the occassional accident when we don't make sure he goes every 2 hours or so. But he's been in underwear since the summer and it's really going great. We still diaper him for over night (with undies on top). When do I train him at night? Most naps he wakes up dry. In the AM, sometimes dry, sometimes very full. So what next? Mom says wake him up in the middle of the night for a potty run. I think that's insane & he'll never return to sleep. Ideas?

egoldber
11-28-2004, 11:14 PM
My DD trained around the same time (June) and we have just started trying out naptime with just underwear. After she went 2-3 weeks with no naptime accidents, I figured we were ready to try.

I have no thoughts on nighttime training yet. Occasionally DD will wake up during the night and ask to go to the potty. She has no trouble going back to sleep when she wakes up on her own. I figure that once she starts sleeping though the night with no accidents for more than a week straight, it will be time to try.

Just my thoughts.

luvbeinmama
11-29-2004, 12:41 AM
My advise would be to keep track daily of when he has peed overnight. Do this for a few weeks. Personally, I would never wake my kids in the middle of the night for a potty run (esp DD!). If he is mostly dry during that time (like maybe once or twice wet) then put him in underwear and make sure you have a waterproof pad under where he sleeps in the bed. I put one of those crib pads under DS's sheet where he generally stays when sleeping (he doesn't move around so much anymore). Tell him if he wakes up in the middle of the night, to go ahead & pee in the bathroom. Let him know that's okay. I did this right after DS was daytrained so he wasn't in pullups at night for long. But he was about 40 mos at the time. Also, since you have to remind him to go every 2 hours or so during the day, I'm not sure he's ready for overnight yet. BTW, I heard from a friend of mine that there is a medical reason that some kids do not overnight train as early as others. I don't remember the whole thing, but there is some hormone or chemical (I think that was it) that they need to do the long haul control. So if he's not ready, don't be discouraged. Just wait until he's ready.

HTH! :)

cara1
11-30-2004, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I thought my Mom was nuts. I have no problem waiting. He ends up in our bed nightly, so the last thing I need is an accident in OUR bed. Don't think I'll find a King-size waterproof pad!