PDA

View Full Version : How do I get ds to poop on the pot?

MamaKath
12-02-2004, 10:32 AM
He is peeing on it like a champ. Doesn't yet tell us, but if we sit him on it, he goes. He is taking his dipe off immediately after pooping though and it is getting very messy and frustrating! How do I convince him that he should go on the potty. He only uses the big toilet, refuses to even sit on the little pot. Please help!!!!

Hallie_D
12-02-2004, 04:09 PM
I'll be anxiously awaiting replies to your question...DS is also a champion at peeing on the potty (he doesn't like the big toilet) if we sit him on it, but he shows no interest in pooping. He isn't taking his diaper off, but he does immediately announce that he has pooped in his diaper.

Sorry I don't have any advice...I'll be very glad to get some!!

egoldber
12-02-2004, 04:17 PM
My good friend was having an issue like this with her DD. He solution was to use a reward system for pooping on the potty (or bribery might be a more accurate name LOL!). She had what she called, The Poop Bag. Seriously.

Inside The Poop Bag were small toys, trinkets, stickers, stamps, small candies, etc. Things like you get at the dollar store. Every time her DD went poop on the potty, she got to pick a toy from The Poop Bag. If she went a whole day with all her poop in the potty, she got to pick a more special toy. If she went a whole week, then she got a VERY special toy. After about 2 weeks of this, her DD was pooping in the potty consistently.

I have read about other folks doing this with other things too. I think the key is to find something that is a real motivator for your DS and use that as a reward. The trick is it has to be something that he ONLY gets if he poops on the potty and you have to stick with it for awhile.

HTH,

muskiesusan
12-02-2004, 06:26 PM
When Nick first potty trained, he wouldn't poop for three days at a time, whereas in a diaper he would go daily. To encourage pooping, I picked up some construction stickers he would get only if he pooped. He is obessed with anything contruction related, so this got him pretty excited. I also discovered that he was a bit afraid of toilet paper, so I told him I would get some "special" toilet paper for him to use when he went potty (I picked up some flushable wipes). These two things really did the trick for us, and now he has to go everyday about 5 minutes after I put him to bed...........

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01/01
& Alex 04/27/04