PDA

View Full Version : It's Potty Time - Next Steps?

McQ
12-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Well maybe it is. For a few months now Declan has been announcing when he pees/poops. And for the last many weeks he's been saying potty when we change his diaper - not every time but still a lot. I'll ask him if he wants to go on the potty and he responds with potty meaning that he does. So I'll take him to the bathroom and let him sit on the potty and you should see the smile on his face. He's even exclaimed "I like it"! But has yet to produce anything. I've been doing this because he seems interested and I want to encourage that - even if nothing is coming out.

I think he gets a little scared to do anything on the pot since he's either busy holding on - he gets wobbly when he pushes his wiener down and makes pee pee sounds. So what do I do next? Do I get an insert, a potty chair, books and if so, which one(s)? I'm leaning towards an insert since he's really into monkey see, monkey do.

Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated. TIA!

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

Momof3Labs
12-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Definitely try an insert. Colin is monkey see-monkey do and prefers the insert. We like the Bjorn one the best. He seems to respond best when Daddy sits and pees and then we pop on the insert and he takes his turn.

McQ
12-29-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the tip. Is this the one you're talking about?
http://www.babybungalow.com/babbjortoilt.html

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04