PDA

View Full Version : DD "holds it" until naptime/bedtime, will NOT use potty

jennifer-j
01-06-2005, 12:28 AM
My daughter is 2.5. We started potty training just after she turned 2. It was relatively easy. However, about a month ago she became very negative about using the potty. Anytime we ask her if she has to go, she gives a definitive NO. If we try to take her anyway she gets upset and won't pee or poop once she gets there. The thing is, she doesn't have accidents either. She waits until naptime or bedtime, when she's wearing a diaper, and goes then. This is for both pee and poop. I don't know what to try. I cannot get her to drink more fluid-- I have tried juice, chocolate milk, juiceboxes, smoothies, etc. She is not at all interested in anything beyond her normal drinks.

PLEASE if anyone has tips???? Do I just not worry about it? Stop putting her in diapers for naptime? Go back to diapers until she seems to like the potty more? Thanks in advance :)

brubeck
01-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Just MHO but if she's staying dry all day is it really a problem?

Not putting her in diapers for naptime would probably do something. Why don't you try it once and see what happens? But honestly, unless she's got constipation issues if she can hold it that long then I say kudos to her! It's way better than constantly changing diapers or trying to find a potty everywhere you go!

hjdong
01-06-2005, 08:54 PM
I would actually like some suggestions as well. DS - a whole two days of no pee accidents - yeah - also holds his poop for naptime and/or bedtime. The problem is, yesterday he had a little too much fiber (note to self - hot wheat cereal, not such a good idea), went at bedtime/some time early this morning, and had a horrible rash today - worse than he ever got in diapers. So, it really is a problem - at least for us.

egoldber
01-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Well, I would worry about it. And if your DD has a history of UTIs (or if you do) then I would probably worry about it a lot. Holding urine for hours and hours is very unhealthy for the urinary tract.

My friend's DD did this. Her DD could easily hold her pee for 5 or 6 hours. My friend found that using incentives (OK, bribes :) ) helped a lot. The trick is finding what works for your child (little toys, treats, stickers, etc.).

HTH,

hjdong
01-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Hi Beth -I just wanted to thank ou, I had been resisting using bribes for the potty, but when DS was obviously holding his poop for nap again today, I oofered him hot cocoa if he went in the potty. And sure enough, it worked. So thanks for pushing me over the edge. We are on day 3? maybe 4? of no pee accidents, and today so far, mo poop accidents either!

Anyway, thanks again,