PDA

View Full Version : HIE DID IT!! HE DID IT!!!

trumansmom
01-24-2005, 12:11 AM
He finally pooped in the potty!!!

Today was a VERY big day in our household. DS first peed in the potty in early November 2003. Yes, we've been going through 15 months of potty training off and on. Lately, he has been expressing an interest in wearing underwear. I explained to him that he could only wear underwear if he pooped in the potty. Twice in the last week he told me he wanted to, and twice he pooped in his pants within 15 minutes of putting them on. So we had to come up with something.

Several months ago I stopped buying DVDs. We told him that when he pooped in the potty he could get a new DVD. We even had a song to go along with it.

Sing to the tune of "If You're Happy & You Know It" -

If you poop then you get a DVD (clap, clap)
If you poop in the potty
Then we're going to have a party

If you poop then we go to Chuck E. Cheese (etc)....

If you poop then we call Jeff Wiggle (etc) ...

You get the idea.

ANYWAY, I bought a Blue's Clues DVD months ago and had stashed it in a cabinet. Yesterday, I got the bright idea to actually show it to him to drive the idea home. I took it down and let him look at it. He wanted to watch it and I told him that it would be his as soon as he pooped in the potty. This did not go over well AT ALL. He pretty much threw a tantrum all night. BUT, this morning when I asked him if he wanted to go potty he said, "Yes! And I'm going to put a BIG poop in there!" Sure, right. Whatever.

So we go into the bathroom. DS sits on the potty and pees. He sits a bit longer, and pees some more. At this point, I'm thinking we're going to be late for church. I have DH come upstairs, and I go and get DD dressed. DH comes downstairs and tells me he still sitting there. As I'm getting up to go back upstairs, I hear a shriek, "MOM! COME HERE!!" I go up there and my sweet little naked boy is standing in front of the potty pointing at was, indeed, a BIG poop!

He then promptly turned on the DVD and watched it for about 5 seconds, and has shown no interest in it again. I promptly shut the door to my room and cried. He's so grown up! And I just loved the cute, proud little grin he had on his face all day. This was truly the big time. We called Jeff Wiggle (My brother, whose 3 year old daughter just celebrated her first week potty trained, so he really go into it.)And then we called EVERYONE. And he stayed dry for the rest of the day, but no more poop yet.

I had to go out and buy more big boy underwear because the ones I bought over a year ago, are obviously WAY too small.

Keep your fingers crossed that he means business. Tomorrow will be his first day in underwear all day. We're not turning back now!

Woo hoo!
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

R2sweetboys
02-01-2005, 01:35 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TRUMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats Jeanne! I completely remember how exciting it was when Ryan first pooped on the potty. He was almost 3 1/2 like Truman is. I wasn't too worried as everyone told me boys train later, but it WAS pretty frustrating sometimes. I was so proud of him. I even took a picture of it! Am I nuts or what?!! I think when you wait/battle with potty training for soooo long, you really do appreciate it that much more when it finally happens. I would stick with it-keep him in big-boy underwear. He'll get the hang of it in no time. Good luck and congratulations on a BIG milestone!(he,he:))

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

trumansmom
02-04-2005, 05:10 PM
LOL!! I almost got the camera out myself! How sick is that? ;)

And, alas, there has been no poop in the potty since. We have a limit of three pairs of undies a day, then it's back to Pull ups. I can only do so much laundry.

However, a friend just send a box of 8 dvds for Truman. I let him pick one, and then told him he couldn't get any more until he pooped on the potty. Guess where he's sitting right now? :) We'll see if it works. Hopefully he'll poop soon. Otherwise my little guy is going to have a nice red ring on his bottom!

Jeanne

egoldber
02-06-2005, 09:37 AM
My friend used a "poop bag", a bag full of little toys and trinkets that her DD ONLY got to pick from if she pooped on the potty. If she did it for X days in a row, then got to pick a bigger toy. It worked for her in about 2 weeks. So you may want to think about varying the incentives a bit and adding long term incentives too.

HTH,

trumansmom
02-06-2005, 11:48 PM
We're sort of doing that now. He did poop again this morning (Woo hoo!) and promptly got to pick out another DVD. We created a sticker chart and he know that when he poops in the potty 3 times he gets to go to Chuck E. Cheese AND go buy a toy.

DH and I joke that with all the promises we keep making him, he's holding out for a car on his 4th birthday!

Someday he may actually wear those darn dinosaur undies I searched everywhere for!

Jeanne