PDA

View Full Version : Help! He won't poop in the potty!

lmkramer
02-01-2005, 10:53 PM
DS turned four last week, and I am about at my wits' end trying to get him to poop in the potty. He stays dry all the time, day and night, but still poops in his underwear. We have been training him for a year now, and we have lots of pee, but no poop in the potty.

We have tried stickers (he's not interested); bribes (Chart has been up since mid-December; after ten stars on the chart, he can pick out a new tractor; he tells Grandma that if he goes poop in the potty, he can put a star by #1); the promise of preschool (he's missing out on that this year); regular underwear, and he has to clean himself up; and finally we pulled all TV privileges from him (which hasn't worked either).

Although he's not on a regular poop-schedule, we have learned his cues and try to get him on the potty when he appears to need to sit there. This results in him sitting there from 5 to 95 minutes, and then usually pooping in his pants within 15 minutes of getting down.

He is a child who does better if he decides some things on his own, but I've been saying for a year now that he's going to one day decide he can do this and be completely trained. I'm wondering if it's ever going to happen! I've joked that I might train all my children at once (they're ages 4, 2, and 1), but it will be a little scary if that actually happens . . .

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks for any help you can give!

Linda
DS 1/22/01
DS 12/9/02
DD 1/29/04

hjdong
02-02-2005, 02:06 PM
I feel for you. DS not only wouldn't poop in the potty, but would hold it until nap/bedtime and end up with horrible rashes.

Someone on the board suggested bribes, whcih worked for us. I was reluctant to try it, but it did work. But the bribe was immediate - go poop, get candy. The poster who suggested it used movies, and I think much in the same way.

Now that he is starting to be weaned off his bribes, I find that letting him make the decision on his own works. I see the signs, say, "It's time to go potty." "No, no potty" "O.k., let momma know when you have to go." 5 minutes. "I have to go potty."

He also really likes Once Upon a Potty. I've done two things with that. First, we would say, "Just like Joshua," when he would poop in the potty. Now, when I get to the end of the book and it says, "Joshua likes his potty even more and uses it everytime." I add "just like Jamie."

I hope some of this is helpful. Goo luck,