PDA

View Full Version : When did you stop using diapers at night?

Hallie_D
02-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Last week (since my mother was in town and I wasn't on my own with a toddler and new baby) we put DS#1 in underpants all day. Day one: what seemed like a thousand accidents and another thousand successful potty attempts--seriously, does this kid have a few spare bladders? If we didn't put him on the potty every 20 minutes he had an accident! It gradually improved and we've been accident free for three days. He even started pooping in the potty on Friday (but today held it in). We still have to tell him to go most of the time--he'll only ask once or twice but EVERY time we tell him to go, something comes out. He really does seem to have a few extra bladders.

However, I haven't been brave enough to let him sleep in underpants. Am I just being silly? We've been napping together since Noah was born, so I'm not anxious to let him have accidents in MY bed, but I do have a waterproof mattress pad for his bed. Do I just go for it, or should I wait until he really has the hang of things during the day?

TIA!

egoldber
02-08-2005, 09:14 AM
It sounds like he is doing terrific! It probably took a month or so, before I did not have to "remind" DD to go. And I still remind her before we leave the house to make things easier.

I would master daytime before tackling nighttime. Nighttime bladder control is a whole different issue than daytime. It is perfectly normal for a child to be 4 or even 5 before mastering nighttime. Although some do it much earlier.

My DD still wears a pull-up at night, but I think she could do it at nighttime if we worked on it. But honestly, since in a few weeks I will be getting up with a baby several times a night, I have no desire to add waking up with DD to help her go potty too!

ETA: How much liquid does he consume during the day? You may want to cut back. At 34 months (when my DD trained too), I switched her to a regular cup and that helped tremendously with potty training. I think it can be really hard for them to hold it when they are regularly consuming 8 ounce sippies of liquid.

HTH,

Hallie_D
02-08-2005, 12:12 PM
You know, I was thinking about how much liquid he consumes and it isn't all that much. He drinks water and sometimes milk out of a regular cup, the rest of the time drinking milk out of 4-oz sippies, and I don't think he drinks more than 20 oz of liquid a day, including the occasional juice box. His urine is almost clear, so I know he isn't dehydrated, but he mostly just sips water out of a cup during the day and has milk at meals and before bed. I don't know where all that urine is coming from!

But I'm glad to know that I'm not being a bad mommy for keeping him in diapers at night. One step at a time sounds good to me!
I'm just glad that we are down to one or two diapers every day--I was thinking that buying diapers for two was going to put us in the poor house.

Enjoy your last few weeks of sleep! I have to say, it isn't as hard getting up a few times a night this time--maybe because it isn't the shock it was the first time.