PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Need in My Toilet Training Out and About Bag?

August Mom
02-14-2005, 02:54 PM
We've been working on toilet training for awhile but just started going with underwear during the day and diapers for naps and nighttime. DS had been doing really well and had even gone out in public for short periods without accidents. However, today we went to Target (what is it about that place and toilet training accidents? LOL) and he had a pee and poop accident in the toy aisle. We went to the bathroom and cleaned up as best we could, but it didn't seem like I had what I needed.

So, what do you have in your bag when out and about with your toddler still being toilet trained?

And, do you have any tips for cleaning up your DC after an accident in a public place? It sure seemed like flushable wipes would have been better than regular ones. And, how do you get poopy underwear down without getting poop everywhere? Any tips for that one would be really helpful. TIA

egoldber
02-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Hmm. I always just had an outfit change including socks and shoes (Robeez are handy for this) and a wipes container. I used regular baby wipes. The flushable wipes are smaller and thinner, so I think that regular diaper wipes would do a better clean up job, IYKWIM...

The worst day EVER was when we had TWO accidents in public in the same outing. Fortunately she was wearing a dress the first time and actually required only new underwear, socks and shoes. But the second time in that same outing (at a restaurant), she peed AGAIN and this time while I at least had a spare outfit, I had no underwear or shoes. So she had to finish her meal "commando" and barefoot. Not the best day of my mothering career LOL!

August Mom
02-14-2005, 10:56 PM
That's basically what I had (only not additional shoes). I guess I just didn't know what to do with the dirty wipes while we were in the stall cleaning up. I've never actually used the flushable wipes. I didn't realize they were substantially different.

Melanie
02-15-2005, 03:49 AM
I get the flushable wipes from Target that are Target Brand and they're not too thin, IMHO. Though the flushable ones for cleaning the toilet are very thin but you wouldn't want to use those on a body anyway.

I carried around a full extra change of clothes in my bag (robeez for the shoes) and another in the car. Also, don't forget a gallon ziploc for the wet clothes!

It's practically guaranteed that once you figure out what to carry to cover all circumstances, you won't need any of it any more! (though I do still keep a change in the car for any type of emergencies, not just potty...mud puddle...etc.)

lukkykatt
02-24-2005, 04:14 PM
I always keep a plastic bag in my diaper bag (like the kind you get from a super market). Those are good for sticking that kind of stuff into.

I also only get the regular wipes. We found out with our older son that the "flushable" wipes were not so flushable...

PS: It sounds like your son saw something he liked in the toy aisle :)