PDA

View Full Version : So why is it that boys are taught to sit first??

kfcboston
02-15-2005, 07:05 PM
We haven't really started training for real yet, although DS does have fun peeing in the potty after his bath. But he doesn't want to sit; he only stands. So for the inexperienced mom here, why do ppl. teach boys to sit and pee in the beginning? Is it a mess otherwise??

TIA!

luvbeinmama
02-16-2005, 12:14 AM
I think it is because most people have very little faith in their child's ability to aim the pee stream in the right direction and don't want to teach that at the same time as just getting them to use the toilet in the first place. And I think most start off learning on a little potty instead of the toilet. Peeing standing up into a little potty would make a HUGE mess as the pee would end up splashing right back out and the hole is so tiny. Also, it is the same position they need to use for pooping, so while they are peeing, you may get some pooping if they are already sitting (pooping on the potty is a problem for some). Personally, I think the men need to teach the stand-up peeing. I mean, really, how am I supposed to teach him something I don't know much about. DS learned the stand-up peeing techniques from DH and does it just fine. But he DID learn to do it sitting down first. You do need to teach them to point it down while sitting, which may be harder (?) if you don't teach that first. If your DS is already peeing standing up and won't sit... well... I would just go with it. At least he is peeing in the toilet. I assume he is tall enough (which is probably another big consideration for many moms) to do it without a stepstool. HTH.