PDA

View Full Version : Wrong to want her to go straight to real toilet vs potty?

akc
02-26-2005, 04:31 AM
Hi all -

Need your advice. My DD is about ready to really go full force into potty training. So far, she's only been sat on a real potty and has had no exposure to a small, kid-sized potty. I've been sort of heading in the direction of skipping that alltogether if I can because then she'll continue to learn on a real toilet, which is where I want her to go in the end the anyway. Is that me just being lazy or OK? I was going to look into those seat inserts that clip onto the toilet or the little drop in inserts.

As a comparison, she went straight from a crib to an full-sized bed that is 32" off the ground b/c that was the bed we had in her room. She had no problems and loves it. I'm kind of rooted in the philosophy that if she doesn't know differently, it won't be a problem.

will it? Thx!~

Alexa

August Mom
02-26-2005, 04:28 PM
I would go with it if your DD doesn't protest. It will be one less step for you. You probably will need a stool so she can climb up. We have a Baby Bjorn insert for our elongated toilet and like it. Good luck.

AngelaS
02-26-2005, 07:59 PM
I also skipped the potty seat step. I did buy the little seats that fit on the big seat tho, so I didn't have to fish my girls out and they could go on their own with that and a stepstool.

(I did the same bed thing too--no toddler beds here! :D)

egoldber
02-26-2005, 08:22 PM
There's nothing wrong with going straight to the big toilet. But a lot of people (like me) found having a small potty chair helped the process along. And they are also convenient to then have in the car in case of emergencies when out and about.

HTH,

brubeck
02-27-2005, 10:01 AM
I think it just depends on personality. If you can go straight to the 'big' chair then do it. I tried with DD and potty training was slow. I eventually bought a plastic potty because I wanted to do the backyard training (run around naked outside). Turns out she loved the small potty and it renewed her interest. When she was trained on that I didn't have too much trouble phasing it out because the entire time I was also sitting her on the big toilet at least once a day.

As Beth said, I also have another small plastic potty for the car.

akc
03-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Hi there -

Which seats did you buy? Saw those ones that are the flip n flush or something like that? But was also looking at the Cushie Tooshie? We have an Elmo/Ernie one, but it kind of slides around.
Also, is there a stool that I saw somewhere that is curved around the toilet - or is there a good stool recommendation.

I am debating whether we give the Dr. Phil Potty-Training party a go for the first time we head at it full force. Did anyone try it? If it doesn't work, then at least we've kick started on a fun note, but if it helps at least in the pee portion, we'll be that much ahead. Just need to find one of those peeing-enabled dolls. Any tips on those?

Gosh, this is foreign territory for me! eek!

Alexa