PDA

View Full Version : Major setback in PT- what to do?

jubilee
06-23-2005, 02:22 AM
Logan was doing great- peeing in the potty often (1-6 times a day!) and was very excited about getting his M&Ms and celebrating every pee. So, I asked and he wanted to wear underware. I told him about 30 minutes later we needed to pee in the potty, NO! Again about 30 minutes later, NO! Then two seconds later, he peed his pants. Major tears. I remain upbeat and we change clothes. About an hour later- again pees his pants and he goes into hysteria. He wants a diaper, so he goes back to wearing one. That was 2 weeks ago!! He REFUSES to pee in the potty at all anymore. Won't sit on the potty and cries if I ask him. Certainly this is a big setback. What can I do to reverse this??

brubeck
06-23-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm in the middle of PTing my DS right now too. When we went to the underwear he would have accidents, but what I do is watch him like a hawk when I expect something is coming and when he starts I tell him firmly to STOP, pick him up and run like mad for the potty, where he finishes. I think this has helped establish the link between peeing/having to go and running to the potty. Last night he made his first self-initiated, successsful potty visit so I guess eomething is working!

HTH!

momofmany
06-25-2005, 11:33 PM
Be patient and rest assured that this will pass. the transition to the toilet is not a perfectly linear experience - you move ahead for awhile and then you move back because you are dealing with a toddler here. Just relax and let him use the diapers. Ask him every day or so if he's ready to use the toilet or remind him that when he's ready to use the toilet his "big boy" underwear will be ready for him. When children get worked up about something, we just have to back off a bit until they are ready to try again - and he will. (in my own life, my dd (age 2.75) is toiled transitioned day and night but refuses to make a bm in the toilet. She did it for about three days and now won't at all. She asks for a diaper when she needs to poop, which I provide for her. Every day we all encourage her to poop on the toilet - since she is doing everything else there, but she won't. I know this will pass and am giving her the space to be ready to try again.).

good luck to you.

Becky
Mom to three great girls and one great boy!

Laurelsmom2002
06-27-2005, 09:11 AM
I hear ya dd was great- all she needed was a mommy dance for potty time- then it lost its charm- she would have a dry pull up- refuse to go "pee pee potty"- and then the pull up would be soaked- she was just too lazy to get off the couch for it- so I upped the currancy w/ skittles (since the coating of the m&m has nuts in it and dh has allergies) 1 for pee 2 for poo- the skittles work some- but not always- she peed 2x this morning- and poo in potty- asked for dora panties- said "pee pee potty" in a tone that said she knew if she wore these she had to go pee pee potty- but I've now got a towel in the chair she was sitting in cause she didn't. sigh- eventually we'll get it but the road is rough

August Mom
07-01-2005, 03:43 PM
I'd just let him have a break and then try again in a few weeks. Maybe next time try a different reward, so there's no negative association with the M&M training period. :) I think it's part of toddlerhood that once you think they've got it, they throw you for a loop. I was having an issue you may have read about (DS peeing on the doormat instead of in the potty) and one of the moms suggested I back off and give DS some space (and a diaper if necessary) and that was great advice. That's what DS needed - less pressure from me and some time to work through whatever was causing his changed behavior.