PDA

View Full Version : Showering a 2 year old?

mmaimp
07-16-2005, 01:24 PM
We are going on vacation to a beach house and I would like to wash off my 2 y.o. in the outside shower instead of the tub. He has never had a shower. I'm not sure if I should try it out before we go or just wait till we get there?

houseof3boys
07-16-2005, 07:32 PM
My 2 year old gets a shower every day and has taken one with us since he was probably 11 months old. He even takes one by himself sometimes while I am in the bathroom with him. He has toys in there too so he stays in there just as long as he does when he takes a bath. He loves filling plastic cups with the falling water.

I think you should try it before you go and just have him sit down in it so the water is not hitting him directly in the face. Does he swim at all so he is used to his face getting wet?

We have a fairly large walk in shower but he does still take one if we are out of town and are in a standard tub/shower combo. His big pet peeve (if that's possible for a 2 year old) is a hard water spray that hurts him. Ours has a soft spray adjustment and Ryan loves it!

stefani
07-16-2005, 10:40 PM
I would suggest trying it out before you go. My DS is 22 months old, and occasionally I think he gets to take a shower at his grandparents. The first time I turn on the shower head in the tub (it was after he finishes his bath) he cried. After a few times he likes it. Now he wants to get a "rinse" off after every bath.

Have a great vacation!

August Mom
07-17-2005, 05:03 PM
DS likes to shower with me holding him. This started at our swim lessons and has continued. If you go this route, you can control better how much spray hits him and whether it's in his face. Just a thought.

mmaimp
07-20-2005, 06:01 AM
We have a tub / shower combo and the outside shower at the beach house is a large walk-in one. I'm going to give it a try tonight. Thanks for the tip about having him sit down, we will try it that way. We did swimming last year when he was a year old but not this summer.

mmaimp
07-20-2005, 06:25 AM
The rinsing off after a bath is a great idea! My DH loves to make a ton of bubbles and DS often gets out of the tub with bubbles clinging to him. I try to rinse him off with a few cups of water from the tap but it does not seem to work very well.

mmaimp
07-20-2005, 06:27 AM
Is it easy to wash him this way? At the beach I'm going to delagate this duty to my DH and I want it to be as simple as possible.

houseof3boys
07-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :)