PDA

View Full Version : DS pees in toilet but sprays all over!!

madtowngirl
07-28-2005, 04:53 PM
We have just started introducing our 15 mth old son to the toilet. We are using the Baby Bjorn insert that sits on top of the big toilet. We have lucked out & he has peed in the toilet a few times now- mostly after his bath. The problem is, when he pees it sprays over the sheild or to the side of it & all over the floor & me. I try to point his penis down but I feel like that might distract him from going. Any tips?

alkagift
07-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Honestly for our son it's all about "bum-angle." I find he's at a better angle for pee in the small stand-alone Bjorn potty, rather than the insert--it seems to cover all of the major elements :P. Perhaps your son would be at a better angle too--I'm assuming he's a small guy at 15 months, as opposed to my two year old--the small potty supports their bottoms a bit better and allows their feet to rest on the floor, which allows them to sit more upright and get their penis behind that shield.

My DS is of the opinion that only the big potty with the insert is the "real" thing since the little one doesn't flush. Perhaps since you've started early you can con convince your son to use the smaller one!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

brubeck
07-29-2005, 11:23 AM
We have the same thing with my son. He is basically daytime PT'd now but sitting down and he sprays EVERYWHERE. DH actually said that he thinks it's the angle of his penis because if it points straight ahead the pee still comes up in a big arc. I guess that would be something that is different from guy to guy.

We started out holding it down and taught him to hold it down himself. Of course when he successfully holds it down himself he pees all over his hand but we have been teaching him hand-washing so it works out okay.

We have also found that spillage can be reduced or eliminated if he leans forward. This angles the penis down so that it sprays more into the bowl.

I'm basically holding on for another few months until he gets comfy with this (we're just finishing up the PT'ing now) and then I'll have DH teach him to pee standing up. I just don't want him getting confused with the stand-to-pee-but-sit-to-poop thing!

hjdong
07-30-2005, 12:01 PM
If you can face him backward to pee, and then forward to poop (if you're not worried that this will confuse him), it will both angle his penis for better spray now and get him use to the direction he'll be when he's standing. DS refused to do it, but the few times we did it, it worked great.

The other thing it to use Cheerios to aim at, but I don't know if you DS might not be too young to get that game.

HTH,

madtowngirl
08-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Well I went ahead and ordered a Baby Bjorn little potty. But he is doing so well that I am worried switching to a little potty will mess up his progress. We just started introducing him to the toilet a few weeks ago & I think he's doing pretty good. He has pooped in the toilet once. He normally pees in the toilet after his bath. And today I have put him on the toilet twice & he has peed each time - and you can see him pushing or trying to go. Will switching to a new potty mess him up?