PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training for Poop first

caroleho
08-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Hi everyone,

My son is 18 months old and I don't think he is generally ready to be toilet trained. Has anyone tried (or would advocate) teaching him to at least poop in a potty now and deal with pee at a later time? The reason I ask is that he sometimes gets an irritable bottom when the poop sits even for 10 minutes before we realize he's done it. He has a high fiber diet and generally poops reliably after every meal. It's not unusual for him to poop 3-4 times a day and can get a sore bottom even when we are reasonably prompt with the diaper change.

He is fascinated by the toilet already and goes to hide whenever he poops, so at least it seems like he is aware of his poop.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Carole

mmaimp
08-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Have you thought about taking an Elimination Communication approach to pooping on the potty? Since he is somewhat reliable as to when he poops just put him on the potty at those times. I think you would have to sit and read to him or keep him other wise occupied to say on the potty because of his age.

Good luck! I have an 18 month old who like to poop and then fall asleep. What a nice thing to find when you go in to tuck your child in before you go to bed.