PDA

View Full Version : Portable potty seat?

ageorge911
01-28-2007, 08:27 PM
My 2 1/2 year old is potty trained. However, a few weeks ago, she sat on the potty without her insert and fell in. Now she is afraid to go on a potty without an insert or sized for children (our mall has one -- super cool!). She freaks out if someone tries to make her go on the big potty.

I have been reading about portable potty seats and some say that they pinch and others say they are great. They are also only good to 40lbs. She is a big girl (about 36 lbs) already. I don't know what to do.

Should I get a portable seat? Or should I try to work with her more on the BIG potty?

Thanks!

s7714
01-29-2007, 05:22 PM
I used two different portable potty seats with my older DD and both ended up breaking after about 2-3 months of usage. And not because my DD was anywhere near the weight limit (she was only about 25 lbs. at the time) but because they simply couldn't withstand the repeated opening/closing required to use them. We didn't treat them rough or anything, but the nearest I can guess is that the plastic might have gotten fragile from sitting in a hot car regularly. I finally just gave up and made my DD go without the insert. The first few times she kind of freaked out, but I stood right in front of her holding her under the arms and swore I wouldn't let her fall in. After a month or so, she started telling me that I didn't have to hold her and does fine on her own.

I'd try working with your DD on the big potty first. If she still seems to have issues after a few tries it might be worth it to try an insert even for a month or so, just so she can have the piece of mind. Wouldn't want her to develop a dislike for using the potty after she's already successfully PT'd!

Good luck!
Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

gatorsmom
02-19-2007, 11:48 AM
We use the Cool Gear Travel Potty. It's an actual training "chair" and doesn't go over a toilet seat. However, it folds up to the size of a small briefcase. If you take your daughter around in a stroller, you could store this in the basket. We bought it for trips to the park and to keep in the car. Here's the link:http://www.zipbaby.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=53

Not sure if this helps. You should probably just get her used to the adult potty. Good Luck!

cmoraes
05-08-2007, 12:41 PM
We use an On the Go Potty. It doesn't fit over toilet and instead uses a platic bag to catch the poop or pee. It folds up really small and can be taken anywhere. You can use it even when you're not in a bathroom, like at the park! And its only $10. Here is a link to see it online.
http://www.inventiveparent.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=TRVLOTGP
It is sold other places online and in stores.

They sell special refill bags, but everyone I know just uses a regular plastic bag. Just dump it when it has been used.

good luck.