PDA

View Full Version : baby yogurt

pearl
05-10-2003, 11:37 PM
My son is one year old and we've introduced him to yogurt which he loves. He has had a few spoonfuls of the Yoplait yogurt I eat in the morning, but generally I feed him Yo Baby organic yogurt by Stonyfield Farms. Yo Baby is made with whole milk while the yogurt that I eat is made with lowfat milk, but other than that are there any major differences between baby yogurt and and other types of yogurt? Is baby yogurt a necessity or is regular yogurt okay to give toddlers? Also, are there other brands of yogurt that are appropriate for toddlers? Thanks for your insight.

brubeck
05-11-2003, 11:01 AM
The main differences between the Yo Baby and the toddler yogurts are:

Toddler yogurts are made with 2% milk, not whole milk.
Some toddler yogurts have added sugar. (eg: Trix)
Some toddler yogurts come in day-glo colors. (eg: Danimals)

Non-organic yogurts also may contain some chemicals that organic yogurts do not. I have also found that for some reson the Yo Baby brand is very thin (almost watery) in consistency.

If your child is tolerating the Yo Baby well (and you like the organic idea) then you can try others. Keep in mind that Baby may not like the tart taste of most yogurts. I started my daughter on Dannon La Creme and eventually gave in to added sugar and now she is hooked on Yoplait Yumsters. :-) The benefit of the sugary ones is that they are NOT tart.

Good luck!

elf
05-12-2003, 06:54 PM
I feed my daughter ordinary whole milk plain yogurt. I get mine at Trader Joe's - in addition to their house brand there's a Strauss Organic brand and in supermarkets I like the Mountain High brand. She loves it, plain or mixed with other foods, like pureed mango or fruit.

MarinaTwinMom
05-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Dannon La Creme is higher in fat than most yogurts. It's similar to the Yo Baby (and my toddlers like it better).

Me-Maw
05-27-2003, 04:16 PM
My baby wasn't too crazy about yobaby, but I wanted to stick to organic. I ended up trying Brown Cow vanilla whole milk with cream on the top which she loves. (It's not organic, but doesn't have any of the added stuff in it and it's from non-BGH cows.) Sometimes I mix in fruit conserves in different flavors to change the flavor.

pearl
05-30-2003, 01:21 AM
Does Dannon La Creme have more sugar than Yo Baby? I worry about the amount of sugar more than fat sometimes. My toddler is only 1 year old and my pediatrician instructed us not to offer low fat products until he is about two. High percentages of sugar and sodium are some of the things I check for these days.

avalon2
06-29-2003, 10:20 PM
I too give my daughter the TJ and Strauss plain whole milk yogurt (I like to stick with the organic stuff and avoid refined sugars whenever possible). My daughter loves it with frozen organic blueberries which can also be purchased at Trader Joe's. What I don't like about a lot of the kids stuff, is that it is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup which some link to cancer.

mom2kandj
06-30-2003, 02:32 AM
My DD likes Stonyfield Yo Soy(I think that's the name of their soy yogurt) over all other soy yogurts. When tasted against the Silk soy yogurt and other milk based yogurts(by me) I noticed that the Stonyfield Farms yogurt has a bit smoother texture and lacked the tartness of other yogurts making for a yogurt that was more pudding like in consistency. The only thing I would look for is the amount of sugar in the Yo Baby versus other yogurts. My choices are much more limited with the soy, so Yo Soy it is! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (31 months)
& Jack (14 months)