PDA

View Full Version : Toddler breakfast?

Rachels
09-19-2003, 11:38 AM
Breakfast is a tricky meal around here. It's hard to get Abby interested in anything. I'm just wondering what other toddlers eat for breakfast. Any suggestions are welcome!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

emmiem
09-19-2003, 12:13 PM
My 30 month old eats a pretty big breakfast. She has a bowl of baby oatmeal (yes, still!), sliced bananas, and some cold cereal that she likes to munch on. She drinks milk, plain or chocolate. I actually have to stop her from asking for more. She thinks it is a buffet!
Emmie

mom2kandj
09-19-2003, 12:41 PM
My kids like yogurt(Yo Baby or the soy version are good for babies as they are less tart), a whole piece of cinnamon toast made with multigrain or dark & hearty(similar to squaw) bread, a bowl or oatmeal, a bowl of cereal, 1/2 banana or apple, a slice or two of cheese, 4-5 strawberries and cantaloupe. They usually get 2-3 of the above plus a cup of soymilk or a banana/berry/soymilk smoothie. (1/2c milk or soymilk, 1/2 banana, 4 frozen strawberries blended until smooth. can be put in a sippy cup.)

Today they ate: 1/2 banana, 1 piece dark & hearty cinnamon toast, a small piece of cheese and one cup of soymilk each.

Yesterday they had: 4oz yogurt, a smoothie, and a couple of pieces of cantaloupe each.

HTH!

Rose
mom 2 katie (33 months)
& Jack (16 months)

sugarsnappea
09-19-2003, 01:03 PM
JG usually eats some type of fruit; banana, apple, melon, etc.. Then she eats a bowl of regular oatmeal w/ dried cherries, a bowl of Cheerios or scrambled eggs w/ toast. On weekends we do french toast w/ fruit or fruity pancakes. :)

Karenn
09-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Colin eats a banana, bread and milk. It's actually one of his smaller meals. He's always hungry and thirsty when he wakes up, but not entirely interested in eating. He seems to eat his "real" breakfast two hours later at "snack." Then, he eats a slice or two of cheese, some other form of bread/grain (tortillas are a big hit, sometimes I also make "rice balls" with sticky rice.), a different kind of fruit like pears, kiwi, grapes or grated apple (that was your idea :) ), and milk. This "snack" is often his biggest meal of the day and I kind of consider it his real breakfast.

nigele
09-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Tom is not all that interested in breakfast either. I make him cinnamon raisin toast loaded with butter and he eats maybe 1/4 of a slice. I can catch him while he is playing and get him to drink a Danimals drinkable yogurt which I spike with heavy cream. I figure at least that's something in his tummy! I also leave the toast on his tray, which I lower so he can reach and let him help himself in between playing.

jojo2324
09-20-2003, 11:36 PM
Ooh Lisa, good idea about lowering the tray! Gannon has this weird habit of letting me know he wants to get down from his seat, and will then immediately eat his scraps off the floor/foot rest. Go figure. :) But during play time he will run back to his high chair and reach up to the tray...

Rachel, Gannon's breakfast is the most consistent meal of the day. This is a typical menu:

YoBaby
oatmeal or muesli
banana sprinkled with wheat germ or grapes or blueberries (some fruit)
milk
*occasionally* toast or raisin bread or English muffin
eggs, if he's in the mood...usually not

He doesn't always eat everything. (The cereal is the toughest part. I've figured out if he doesn't actually SEE me dip the spoon into the cereal bowl, he's more willing to eat it. Also, if I make the cereal in an old YoBaby container, same thing. Weirdo again.)

I say it's consistent, in that the menu does not vary much at all. If ever I'm in a bind at another meal, I can always fall back on YoBaby and cheese. The other meals are becoming more problematic. They won't starve themselves, right? I need to repeat this to myself...

egoldber
09-21-2003, 01:01 PM
For breakfast Sarah usually eats:

baby cereal (yes, STILL) and banana
waffle and banana
pancake and banana

(sensing a theme on her favorite fruit yet??)

yogurt and banana

I've tried cold cereal and milk or oatmeal and she just prefers baby cereal!

twins r fun
09-21-2003, 08:43 PM
I always start out by putting out dry cereal and a sippie cup of milk on the kiddie table. The boys snack on this while I get myself organized, change diapers, unload the dishwasher, and "make" breakfast. Oddly enough if I give them dry cereal in their high chairs they won't touch it.

Then they get in their high chairs and I give them their real breakfast, which is always fruit and milk and one of the following:

bagel with cream cheese
yogurt
cereal bar
toast with either butter, jelly, peanut butter, or cream cheese
mini pancakes
waffle
french toast
instant oatmeal (stir in some fruit baby food or cinnamon)
cream of wheat (stir in some fruit baby food or cinnamon)
cheerios with milk
muffin

They don't usually eat much of this really- usually just a quarter of a slice or a small bowl, but it lends some variety to things and added to the other things they eat as part of breakfast, it is plenty.

trumansmom
09-21-2003, 09:52 PM
Breakfast is the only meal Truman actually eats! He usually has yogurt, some cheerios or other dry cereal, toast with jam and milk. He used to have a banana every morning, but for some reason gave it up and is now just eating more yogurt.

Good luck!
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

cara1
09-22-2003, 11:38 AM
Scrambled Egg, Waffle, Cheerios, Kix or bits of whatever dried cereal we're eating (esp. Cheerios with berries). I made French Toast, but he wouldn't eat it. Also this 5 grain organic cereal in a cannister (I can't recall the name) that's sort of like oatmeal. It's got a lot of texture and he can eat it with his hands even after it's cooked.

sarasprings
09-24-2003, 01:54 PM
Ds used to love eating, but no more. In general, he'll only eat something (for any meal) that he hasn't had in a while. He has always been given vegetables for breakfast, so that helps with variety. DS also tends to like "big" foods, so we give him half an apple or pear, cracker with cashew nut butter, bigger hunks of rice cake, etc. and that helps a tiny bit.

raynjen
09-24-2003, 06:55 PM
The biggest hit in our house is waffles cut into three strips along with a cup of "dipping sauce" - usually applesauce or yogurt. She also likes 'scrambled' eggs - one egg cracked into a ramikin (small bowl) whipped with a fork then microwaved for 45 seconds, very fast, very little clean-up.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)