PDA

View Full Version : What yogurt do you like

raynjen
09-24-2003, 06:58 PM
Aside from Yo-baby (which we like, but isn't available here) what yogurt do you like for your child? So far I have just picked out the brand that has the lowest sugar count per package - Yonson.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

Ferrety4
10-19-2003, 11:05 PM
We buy LaCreme. Jacob LOVES it!!!

egoldber
10-20-2003, 02:14 PM
I've used LaCreme, Danimals and Yumsters.

I WANT to use the more natural yogurts, but they are all so runny, that Sarah has a really hard time feeding herself with them. Those three have a more "solid" texture, that makes it easier for her to eat.

Maybe when she gets more "skilled" we'll use other types.

naomi01
07-08-2004, 11:03 PM
Moo Lah Lah (I think that's how you spell it), a little pricy but sometimes I can get coupons. We get it from wholefoods or wild oats. It is full cream, thick, organic, no corn syrup and really yummy (DH and I love it too). Flavors are Strawberry cheesecake, white choc raspberry, double choc (rather sour but DS loves it) and lemon chiffon. DS loves all of them and can feed it too himself.
Naomi
DS 12/02/02

Hallie_D
07-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Since DS eats so much yogurt, we really stick to Yo-baby or another organic brand (Horizon). It is very pricey, but every time I pick up another brand and read the ingredients, I can't bring myself to buy it. I'm going through a "no high fructose corn syrup" phase right now.

Have you tried getting plain yogurt in a big tub and sweetening it yourself with fruit and/or jam? I've been wanting to try it but my grocery store has only been carrying plain nonfat yogurt recently and DS definitely needs the fat.

sntm
07-09-2004, 11:46 AM
That works really well. We do this a lot.

We vary between Yo-Baby (most common), Horizon, and Brown Cow. We've done LaCreme when on vacation where we couldn't get more natural types.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

jlcana
07-09-2004, 03:37 PM
I started feeding Chris Yoplait Custard Style when he was under a year old because it had a lot of calcium and is very thick. Now at 28 months, he still eats it because it doesn't run off the spoon like regular yogurt as he feeds himself. The downside is that it is high in sugar and more expensive that other brands.

Lisa
Christopher 03/18/02
Another boy EDD 9/20/04

cdmamatutu
07-10-2004, 05:49 PM
We love Brown Cow yogurt. The Cream Top is out of this world!

You can buy a yogurt maker and make your own yogurt fairly inexpensively. We bought one for less than $20. I make our yogurt with organic milk for less than half the cost of buying it at the store. All you have to do is heat the milk briefly and add some yogurt starter, then let it incubate in the yogurt maker for 4 hours or so. Then add whatever flavorings or fruits you want. Pretty easy, actually, and if you go through a lot of yogurt it is very cost-effective.

HTH

naomi01
07-10-2004, 06:35 PM
I would be cautious with Brown Cow with the little ones - my recollection is that a lot of them were sweetened with honey, with the concern being botulinism.

Naomi

JElaineB
07-11-2004, 11:15 PM
I don't know about Brown Cow specifically, but honey is considered safe for children over 1 year old. So hopefully that's not a big issue here in the toddler forums.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB
07-11-2004, 11:17 PM
We buy strawberry Dannon La Creme. We try to get him to eat homemade whole milk yogurt with jam in it when we make it, but he doesn't usually go for it.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

cdmamatutu
07-13-2004, 12:40 PM
I always buy the plain Brown Cow for my kids so I can control how much sweetness goes in. They may sweeten some of the yogurt with honey, don't know for sure. I do believe that some Brown Cow flavors are sweetened with maple syrup, however.

It's always a good idea to check labels when buying food for your kids. There are so many things to watch out for! It's great that we have so many knowledgeable moms on this board. :)

MelissaTC
07-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Matthew likes the Dananimals and the Yoplait Yumsters. Sometimes we get Bluebell Winnie the Pooh yogurt. That is as sugary as I go. I pass on the Trix yogurts and the like...

He doesn't like Stonyfield, no matter how I give it to him. It's weird because he used to love Yobaby...

brubeck
07-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Andrew gets Yumsters, partly because he loves it, partly because he can eat it easily with its thick texture, and partly because they have such great offers all the time (like the current Thomas offer).

Amy stopped liking Yumsters and was into Danimals for awhile, but then went off yogurt altogether. I have gotten her back into it by giving her the drinkable yogurt (she calls it yogurt milk). These are terrific because they are very little mess and much easier to take out.

luvbeinmama
07-29-2004, 02:18 AM
If anyone happens to need soy yogurt, Silk & WholeSoy are our favorites, esp the WholeSoy. They also have drinkable WholeSoy at Whole Foods Market.