PDA

View Full Version : need help/input with weaning a 21 mo. old

simplemama
11-17-2003, 02:05 PM
goodness, i've been away from the board since i got really busy this summer with my DS, who is now 21 mo. going on 22 mo. really good to see all these familiar names i used to see on BABY board -- feels like i've run into a group of long lost friends!! now i plan to come and check TODDLER board often.

in any case, i need help. i'd like to wean my DS who's still BFing, before the year end. we are now down to two nursing sessions a day. i am just totally without a clue as to how to eliminate these sessions, and would love to hear from those of you who have some hints/tips, or just sharing your experiences.

these two sessions are: 1) first thing in the morning, when he wakes up. he is currently sleeping with me and my husband (which is another, totally different story, but perhaps more on that later), and if i'm lucky enough to get out of the bed while he's still sleeping, sometimes he doesn't need to nurse when he wakes up -- i can go greet him with a sippy cup of diluted juice, and he may be happy with that. but most morning, he and i wake up together, or more likely, he wakes up first and goes for my breast, thereby waking me up.

2) going to sleep at night. he has always, always, always nursed to sleep. on a few occasions in his life so far, he has gone to sleep without me, but it always was a struggle.

he asks to nurse for his nap, too, but i'm usually sneaky about it, and able to schedule an errand or a playdate right before his nap time so he would fall asleep in the car on the way back, or sometimes i leave him alone playing with his toys for a while, and by the time i check on him, he's down on the floor sleeping.

any input you have, i'd really appreciate it. thank you, ladies!