PDA

View Full Version : Milk After Age Two

twins r fun
11-18-2003, 08:46 PM
We just had our 2 year well visit and my doctor didn't mention switching to lower fat milk and I forgot to ask. Being that my pediatrician is fairly useless in these aspects, I figure I'll just do my own research rather than call her. So what have you heard about swithching from whole milk? I've always heard to switch at 2, but Ellen Satyr (my food goddess) says they can stay on whole milk. Unfortunately I lent out my book for a few weeks so I can't see exactly what she says. In my google searches, I'm getting some inconsistency-don't restrict fat until age 5, go to lower fat milk at age 2, switch to lower fat milk if they are getting 30% of their calories from fats in other ways, etc. What do you guys know?

egoldber
11-18-2003, 09:04 PM
Well, my ped said that for Sarah (50th percentile height and weight forever), he recommended going to 1% or 2%. We give her 1%, since that's what we use.

HTH,

brubeck
11-19-2003, 10:45 AM
My ped said to go down to 2% at age 2 because Amy';s fat needs were reduced. Then at 30 months she said we could go down to skim as long as she was getting fat in other ways. Amy eats lots of cheese and meat (not to mention occasional junk food!) so we didn't worry about fat intake.

khakismom
11-19-2003, 12:41 PM
Kathleen takes 2%, but I'm hoping to go to skim at age 3 since that's what we drink.

Piglet
11-19-2003, 04:23 PM
We are on 2% as well, and have been since 18 months (DS was almost off the charts for weight and a shorty to boot). He gets about 2 cups of milk a day, and eats cheese, yogurt, etc. We drink 2% as well, so he will probably be on it from here on...

christi
11-19-2003, 07:50 PM
Just looked this up the other night. Satter says you can switch to lowfat at 2 but you don't have to and that if you're wondering at all if your child is getting enough fat you should stick to whole. So I think it would depend on what the rest of their diet is like.

We're not to this point yet but I might leave my daughter on whole after two because we don't eat a lot of meat and I always have whole in the house for cooking and tea. Not sure what our ped recommends though.

twins r fun
11-19-2003, 09:01 PM
Thanks everyone. I haven't decided what to do yet, but have to take Jacob in to the pediatrician for a likely ear infection tomorrow so will see what the ped has to add to your info!