PDA

View Full Version : Best Soymilk?

MimiSirois
11-23-2003, 10:40 AM
I breastfed my 16-mo.-old daughter for 12 months. After that, she would not drink milk and the only kind of formula she would drink is Nature's One Organic Todddler Formula, which was fine by me because it was a very healthy choice and better than nothing! However, the cans of formula are prohibitively expensive, especially when she wastes it!

I have recently tried introducing some rice milk and soy milk with success, so I'm wondering what brands you soy- or rice-milk-drinkers prefer for yourselves and/or children. Any recommendations?

TIA!

jadamom
11-23-2003, 02:44 PM
Jada is allergic to cow's milk. After we weaned at age 1, we started using Sun Soy ($2.99 for 64 oz), Silk ($3.29), or 365 Organic Soymilk (Whole Foods brand - $2.69). I honestly can't tell the difference between them. They are fortified with vitamins and calcium and taste best when warmed. I tried Westsoy once and didn't like it.

lukkykatt
11-23-2003, 09:34 PM
I use WestSoy Plus, vanilla flavored. It is the highest in Calcium/Vitamin D and fat that I have been able to find. We don't drink it all the time though - I just keep it in the pantry in case we run out of milk.

mom2kandj
11-24-2003, 12:47 AM
We buy SILK vanilla soy (in the aseptic boxes)at Costco. The taste doesn't bother me, but I prefer cows' milk myself. They also carry the SILK vanilla soy in the refrigerated dairy case, but we prefer the boxes as the shelf life is longer and it is also more economical. I think it runs 12 boxes(each box = 32oz)for about $10-11. HTH!

Edited to add: Most soymilks are lowfat or nonfat only. Please check with your doctor to see if they want you to add more fat to her diet through other foods.

Rose
mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
& Jack (19 months)

redhookmom
12-01-2003, 12:58 AM
We drink Eden Soy Extra Original. It is what our Ped. suggested. I enjoy the taste, but I don't really think of it as milk(cow's), if that is your expectaion I think it would be disappointing.

Jessica