PDA

View Full Version : Lunch Ideas for Mother's Day Out

KUvsOU
12-05-2003, 04:49 PM
After the first of the year, my DS will be starting a full day (8:15 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.) Mother's Day Out program. My question is what types of things do kids typically take in their lunch. He will be a little over 18 months by then and I usually feed him a hot lunch and he had not mastered a fork and spoon yet. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02

egoldber
12-05-2003, 05:15 PM
I have to send my DD's lunch to preschool. As an added complication, her meal has to be vegetarian and nut-free.

I usually pack her a sandwich, a fruit, a veggie, sometimes a dairy side as opposed to a fruit and a veggie, and a "cookie". I like to give her a variety of things in case something I send doesn't strike her fancy that day.

Some of her favorite sandwiches are cream cheese, hummos and soynut butter. These "sticky" insides make the sandwich easier to eat than the more traditional meat/lettuce/cheese type sandwich. I send her sandwich on either whole wheat bread or pita bread. I also sometimes send mac&cheese or other pasta as her entree.

For fruits/veggies I usually send: banana, grapes cut in half, sliced strawberries, raspberries, green beans, carrots, peas or broccoli. The veggie is often a dinner leftover from the night before. Occasionally I give her raisins.

For the dairy side, I usually include a mozzarella cheese stick or a small yogurt.

The cookie is usually a Fig Netwon type thing or a couple small pieces of graham cracker.

HTH,

KUvsOU
12-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Thank you for all your ideas. :)

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02

Jen in Okinawa
12-15-2003, 06:18 AM
My daughter goes to a Mom's Day Out program as well. She too gets leftover's from the night before, but usually the veggies are raw. She especially likes: soybeans; red, green, yellow, and orange bell peppers; and cucumbers. For fruits I usually give her: strawberries, grapes (sliced), apples, pineapple, bananas, applesauce, or canned peaches (you can't get fresh ones here). I usually include a slice of bread, a tortilla, or a pita, but she won't eat it if I put anything on it. Hope that helps.

Jen

Melanie
12-18-2003, 04:09 AM
What's a "Mother's day out" program?

So, Ds is 24m and granted eats with me (using utensils), but his lunches are:

-Half Peanut or Almond Butter Sandwich on Wheat
-YoBaby Yogurt (this would require utensils, but what about yogurt-covered something...pretzels, nuts, raisins...fruit...?)
-Water
-Baby Carrots (and dip thanks to daddy)
-Steamed Veggies served cold but not so mushy they can't be finger foods
-Peace Pasta (like macaroni, but easier w/ utensils)
-Pizza
-Bagel and...whatever
-Salad (but you could do finger-food raw veggies like zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peas...whatever)
-Honey Pretzel Sticks (From Trader Joe's...they're a hit!)
-Rice cakes or the like...I forgot Ds' are called, they are corn, rice & something else, very thin though
-Dry Cereal (Ds likes Gorilla Munch)
-Dinner leftovers...

I would think the teacher who sees kids eat daily might have some suggestions for you

egoldber
12-18-2003, 09:11 AM
Melanie, a Mother's Day out program is essentially a preschool. They are usually 1-3 mornings a week, and give mom a chance to get out. I have no idea why some programs are called Mothers Day Out and some are called preschools.

HTH,

raynjen
12-19-2003, 02:03 AM
I think the difference is in the curriculum and regulation. "Preschools" are more highly regulated than "Mom" programs, presumably because they are supposed to be preparing you child for school.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

KUvsOU
12-23-2003, 06:02 PM
Thank you all for your ideas. Where we live the only difference between a Mother's/Parent's Day Out and Preschool is the curriculum. There is more unstructured play time in the Mother's Day Out whereas Preschool is more structured and is preparing them for Kindergarten. :)

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02