PDA

View Full Version : When should I think about graduating him from the sippy cup?

Karenn
01-19-2004, 12:19 AM
I know Colin is able to drink from a cup without a lid, but I'm wondering when people start having their kids do this on a regular basis at meal times? At this point, I suspect that a cup with a lid is a much cleaner option, but I know he has to move to a regular cup someday.

Right now at 19 months, he drinks from the cup a couple of times each day when we brush his teeth. He holds it himself and has gotten so that the water is not dribbling down his chin as much. Still, I know that sitting on the high chair, it wouldn't last more and a few minutes before it got knocked over. When will you/did you make the switch from sippy cup to regular cup?

brubeck
01-19-2004, 11:25 AM
I remember worrying about this issue at this age too! I came to the eventual conclusion that as long as it is neater for the child to have a sippy, they will have a sippy.

Amy does not really know how to carry an open glass around the house, and if she has it while playing/outside she will knock it over. However when she is sitting at the table I give her an open cup/plastic tumbler. Sometimes at restaurants she will drink water right out of a kiddie cup with no lid. And she loves to drink from her little tea set. She also drinks from Dixie cups at preschool. So there's no question that she knows how to drink from a real cup, but to avoid mess I still give her a straw sippy if she's running around, on the couch or if we're out.

sweetbasil
01-28-2004, 05:47 AM
Kellen and Helen's little Amy are about the same age, and we do things exactly the same way around here- I don't want the mess, so if he wants a "big boy cup," he can have it at the dinner table or outside. Otherwise, it's a sippy!

brubeck
01-28-2004, 11:50 AM
LOL Julie, sometimes if Amy's in a messy mood I still make her wear her Baby Bjorn bib while she drinks!

pamela mom of 3
02-10-2004, 10:24 PM
Well to be rather honest, their has not been a set time/age etc for me with my 3 kids.

My youngest now 3 has been on & off with open "regular" cups for quite awhile now, having 2 older sisters to grab a cup from must be what helps in that department ;)

Anyhow @ 3yrs ds still uses sippy style cups now & then...when i go out for sure, plus at home depends on the contents my son is a bit of a er, well let's just say he loves to create a mess and is known for dumping a full cup of whatever onto the floor...so i do have certain things that still "live" in a spillproof cup.

Basically i use the more sport style cups with him, avent has one and so does gerber, and of coarse their are the playtex quick straws too..their all a bit more "toddler-look" but still give you half a chance at least before the house/floor is soaked.

:) GL

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://cmw.dailymoviereviews.com/contrib/fk/bunny.gif

jojo2324
02-15-2004, 02:34 PM
I've been wondering about this too. He has straw cups for his water, but sippies for milk. He LOVES to drink out of our glasses, but I can only see mess, mess, mess! coming out of it. Sometimes, we'll give him a cup with a little bit of water in it with his scoop bib to catch the dribbles.

But that's a good idea about tooth brushing time.

I think I remember reading somebody's post a long time ago about how much more careful her daughter was when she got to use a "big" cup and plate. Like she understood the responsibilities that came with them and thus acted accordingly. :)

Sigh...Does anybody else feel like the idea of messes stifles the kid? I would love for him to do certain things, but I just KNOW the mess that will ensue and I can't deal with all of that and two kids now. I could barely deal with messes with one kid!

brubeck
02-15-2004, 03:05 PM
The key is a contained mess. They can mess on a washable table surface. They can make a HUGE mess in the backyard. But they CANNOT make a mess on the living room carpet. I agree that sometimes kids need to make messes.

The other kiy is to allow them to 'help' in cleaning them up. If Amy strews toys all over the house I make her help me put them away. I think this teaches her some of the consequences of making a mess. She already knows that if she spills food it has to be cleaned up.