PDA

View Full Version : How do you sweeten plain yogurt?

egoldber
02-08-2004, 10:45 PM
I have tried in the past to get Sarah to eat plain yogurt with stuff in it (fruits, etc.) to no avail. (I am cursing the day I ever started with YoBaby!) So since she turned two, we have been using the "toddler" yogurts: Danimals, Yumsters, Stonyfield organic and the new organic toddler yogurt by Horizon.

Well, today I was eating MY yogurt, which is usually plain, nonfat yogurt to which I add vanilla and Splenda. She wanted some, so I gave her a taste and she LOVED it! So I got her some plain, lowfat (not nonfat) yogurt and mixed in vanilla and she didn't like it. I added Splenda and she thought it was grand.

But afterwards, I felt a little funny. Should I be giving her artificial sweetener? I know that they are controversial for some and I have absolutely no qualms about using it for ME. But I wasn't sure what to do for her. Splenda? Sugar? Honey? Does anyone know why one would be better than another and why?

Any thoughts??

luvbeinmama
02-09-2004, 02:51 AM
Personally, I try to stay away from artificial sweeteners in general. I would use sugar or honey if you really want her to eat the plain yogurt. I'm wondering why it's so important to have her eat plain yogurt this way, though. Seems to me the reason for eating plain is that the fruited yogurt has more sugar, but if you are adding sugar to get her to eat it.... kwim? I think it's better to sweeten with fruit/fruit juices than sugar(crystalized cane juice), but better sugar than artificial stuff. JMO. HTH.

egoldber
02-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Well two main reasons. One, it is much cheaper, and we eat a LOT of yogurt! And secondly, its part of my overall food re-vamp campaign, LOL! :) I am trying to get us all eating more naturally. I don't always use sweetener for me, but I do if the yogurt happens to be especially tart and I'm not using fruit (which was the case here). I am avoiding any added sugar for ME, but I didn't know if there was any particular reason to avoid sugar for a toddler, YKWIM?

Today I used 1/4 teaspoon of sugar in her yogurt (1/2 cup plain) and that seemed sweet enough for her. I am hoping to be able to gradually decrease it and get her used to the more tart taste.

muskiesusan
02-09-2004, 05:19 PM
I usually combine the plain yogurt with some of traditional toddler yogurts. One container of the toddler yogurt tends to last two or three snacks. I keep hoping he will eat it plain or with our own fruit, but not yet. I will fool him someday!

Susan
Mom to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

luvbeinmama
02-10-2004, 02:03 AM
Ah. Okay, that makes sense. I don't think there is any reason to avoid sugar for a toddler, either, especially such a small amount. It all just goes toward their vast amount of energy and growth! LOL! My DS loves plain yogurt, but then, he eats the soy yogurt, so that is a different taste altogether. I don't think that stuff is tart at all.

christic
02-10-2004, 10:31 AM
I've also started giving my daughter plain yogurt since I have it around for me now. I usually add some frozen blueberries, vanilla, and sugar--not sure how much but less than a teaspoon. I don't have any problem with adding that amount of sugar since if I'm converting from grams to teaspoons correctly the Yobaby had nearly 4!

Personally I wouldn't use the Splenda, but I don't use artificial sweeteners myself. To me it seems that toddlers are so in tune with how many calories they need to take in that adding the sweetness without the calories at that age might somehow throw off their sensors--but that's my own twisted logic!

We've tried the Brown Cow brand yogurt that I think is sweetened with honey and I just didn't like the taste.

newbelly2002
02-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Beth,

Instead of adding just fruit, what about jam or preservatives? Less than a tablespoon usually does the trick. It will have less sugar and "stuff" than a pre-flavored yogurt, but more than just the plain fruit. My mom did this with us and to this day I prefer it that way. I tried it with Dante and he loved it just grand.

Then again, this is the boy who tonight wouldn't eat his chicken so I hid it in large spoonfuls of creamed spinach. I just sat there shaking my head in awe as he opened his mouth wide.

Good luck!
Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

egoldber
02-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Oh that's a great idea! I'll try that!

jojo2324
02-13-2004, 11:51 PM
Yep, that's what we grew up with. I am cursing YoBaby because it's so expensive!! $3.49 for a 6-pack? I'd rather get the big tub of plain or vanilla and add jam. Now, if only he would eat it on a regular basis...The kid is so moody about food! :)

egoldber
02-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Just wanted to add that we tried the yogurt and jam for breakfast this morning and it was a big hit! :)

And Joanne, it also suddently stuck me that I was paying $3 for a 6 pack of toddler yogurt and asked myself, WHAT am I doing???? LOL!

newbelly2002
02-14-2004, 03:52 PM
Yippee!! And to think, little ol' me was able to suggest something to Beth? :) You just made my month!

Glad to help out. And now, of course, if you're anything like me you'll end up obsessing over jams. So many flavors, so little time.

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

egoldber
02-14-2004, 04:43 PM
LOL! Actually this works out really well! Since DH and I are no longer eating jam (for the most part), I now have a way to use up the two jars taking up room in my refrigerator! :)

caleymama
02-14-2004, 05:34 PM
One of my favorite combinations for myself is vanilla yogurt with wheat germ and maple syrup. I've never done it with plain yogurt, but I would imagine it would still be good.

I also wanted to mention that to me the Sonyfield Farm whole milk plain yogurt tastes infinitely better than nonfat plain yogurt. It's less tart and all of us (DH, DD, and I) will eat it plain.

MichelleL
02-16-2004, 03:40 AM
My ds loves the plain yogurt! I mix it 1/2 yogurt, 1/2 applesauce and then throw in a banana. But, this is the only kind of yogurt he's ever had. So, he doesn't know what he's missing I guess!

Try that & let me know what you think... :)

Michelle L

Sharlene
02-22-2004, 05:44 PM
You can also make your own yogurt--It's really easy,MUCH cheaper, and tastes great! You bring 1 quart of milk to almost boiling, cool it slightly, stir in some yogurt (either store bought plain or leftover yogurt from your last batch, then let it sit about 6 hours in a warm area. I use the yogurt maker from Salton. It's like a low temp crock pot. It comes with the specific directions and temperatures for heating and cooling. A gallon of yogurt costs the same as a gallon of milk! It tases great plain or with a little sugar and vanilla. I also like it with sugar and lemon extract or some strawberry jam. I bought the yogurt maker at Target but they also have them online and at Salton outlets in the mall.

Sharlene

alleyoop
03-05-2004, 05:39 PM
I love love love Brown Cow, Low Fat, Fruit on the Bottom. Not the honey kind, but the kind flavored with fruit juice. It has a yellow top and only comes in strawberry, lemon, and blueberry. We both just eat the yogert off the top, without mixing it up. Perfectly slightly sweetened, firm and wonderful. Just an idea.

MartiesMom2B
03-27-2004, 11:02 AM
I was told to flavor plain yogurt with maple syrup too. I'm going to try it.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

gour0
03-29-2004, 01:32 PM
I just bought Wheat germ for the first time. Are there different kinds?

caleymama
03-29-2004, 10:15 PM
There are, but I don't know too much about them. I've always bought the kind that comes in a jar at the regular grocery store (a blue label ... name starts with a "K" I think). DH recently bought some in bulk at a natural foods store and I don't like it as much (weird flavor and too mushy when mixed w/ yogurt). He said that it's not toasted, and that's why it probably tastes different than what I am used to. I know there are other variations as well, but that's the extent of my experience with wheat germ!

kaitlinsmommy
04-01-2004, 12:24 AM
I use Mother's toasted wheat germ & think it's way better than the non-toasted. I mix it in dd's yogurt & applesauce.